Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Downgrade

by cnetms / September 10, 2005 5:24 AM PDT

Hey:
I have a toshiba m200 running windows xp. I want to downgrade from xp to windows 2000, but when i boot up my computer and insert the cd, it says "setup is disabled because it is an older version of windows". Of course those are not the exact words it said but, you get the idea. Is there any way to get around this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wouldn't
by ChuckT / September 10, 2005 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Downgrade

While I do not see any advantage to go from WinXP to Win2k, perhaps you do.

To downgrade I would suggest that you get your needed files off, then reformat your hard drive. Installing Win2k then should not give you any problem with going to an older version of OS.

Collapse -
Downgrade
by cnetms / September 12, 2005 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't

Thanks for telling me ChuckT, but i'm not sure how to reformat my hardrive. Do you know any links to show me how or could you explain? Oh yeah, i don't see any advantage either, but my computer has serious problems and i want reinstall windows but i lost my windows xp cd and only have win2k cd in the house from my old pc, so... thats basically it.

Collapse -
If your Win2K disk s bootable
by ChuckT / September 12, 2005 10:20 AM PDT

If your Win2K disk is bootable, then when you boot to it (from power on) you will go through some selections asking if you want to re-format your hard drive. Take those selections.

By the way, your PC BIOS will be needed to be set up to use a CD drive as a boot device.
One set up scenario is to have your boot up devices to be:
Floppy, then
CD or DVD drive, then
your hard drive.

There are other possibilities, but make sure that your CD/DVD drive is before your hard drive, that will allow you to use a bootable CD.

Collapse -
Downgrading from Xp home to 2000 pro
by jw6251 / January 26, 2006 3:26 PM PST

I have a similiar problem

I run alot of allen bradley software and it is recommeded that you use windows 2000 pro

So I would like to switch operating systems.

I put a windows xp startup disk and formated the harddrive
\
then when i inserted the 2000 pro cd, it says that i can't install it while running dos( i believe it is in the primary dos partition)

but when i ran fdisk this was all that i could do.

And I noticed it used to be formated ntsf and now it formatted fat32

Can anyone help me downgrade this laptop.

thanx in advance jim.

Collapse -
Have to reformat...
by John.Wilkinson / September 10, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

Microsoft has decided to make it difficult for people to downgrade Windows...even going from XP Pro to XP Home isn't allowed. The only way to downgrade is to completely wipe your hard drive (or partition) and start fresh. Personally I'd stick with Windows 2000, as it much better over-all. However, if you do need Win2000 for some reason, why not just install it on a seperate partition? This way you can dual-bbot your computer and choose which OS you want to use each time your logon, giving you the best of both worlds. If you have an extra partition already, or have free (unpartitioned) space on your hard drive, the Windows installer should be able to do the job. If not, you may want to try software such as PartionMagic, which will allow you to split the present partition without reformatting. Just remember to back up your data first, as nothing's 100%.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
xp to 2000 pro
by jw6251 / January 26, 2006 6:24 PM PST
In reply to: Have to reformat...

Well all I have is the restore disk that came with the laptop.

I tried to format it but it must have not worked right.

How do you format it ntsf format.

How should I partition it.

See this is a computer that I am going to use at work

I do alot of plc programming and Allen Bradley doesn't seem to work very well with XP.

So I would like to have a fresh install of Windows 2000 PRO.

How would you go about doing this.

thanx jim

Collapse -
Formating xp and installing 2000 pro
by jw6251 / January 26, 2006 6:25 PM PST
In reply to: Have to reformat...

Well all I have is the restore disk that came with the laptop.

I tried to format it but it must have not worked right.

How do you format it ntsf format.

How should I partition it.

See this is a computer that I am going to use at work

I do alot of plc programming and Allen Bradley doesn't seem to work very well with XP.

So I would like to have a fresh install of Windows 2000 PRO.

How would you go about doing this.

thanx jim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!