Question

down grade my win7 to xp

is posible to downgrade my OS windows 7 to xp?
im using compaq presario cq62.,

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: down grade my win7 to xp
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: down grade my win7 to xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Your thinking is correct.

It's going to be difficult, if not impossible, and is more likely to fail than succeed.

It's not a downgrade, but a complete reformat and install as there is no mechanism from within Win 7 to 'revert to XP', and the problem is going to be finding the drivers for XP, including those SATA hard drive drivers, as XP, knows nothing about SATA. Also, if the hard drive is larger than 127GB, XP (without any Service Packs), will not recognise the additional GBs.

Your best bet is to visit the Compaq web site, input your make and model computer, and see if Compaq offer any help and the driver package required in installing XP on this system. You will need the motherboard and chipset drivers, sound, video, ethernet drivers, and any other drivers for it. And also a method for installing the SATA drivers, during the install procedure.

Make sure you backup all of your personal files first, and then "have a plan in place" for reinstalling Win 7 if it all fails.

There will be no support for this, either from Compaq or Microsoft.

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
Clean Install

You should just perform a clean install. Format your drive C and then install XP.

- Collapse -
And the drivers?

And about that SATA hdd issue?

Mark

CNET Forums