Computer Help forum

General discussion

Down grade from 64 bit to 32 bit

by wmlcouch / December 26, 2009 10:27 PM PST

Is there a way to convert my new hp from a 64 bit to 32 bit operating system?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Down grade from 64 bit to 32 bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Down grade from 64 bit to 32 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2009 10:31 PM PST

Even with the full retail Windows Microsoft issued media there is no downgrade. To convert from 64 to 32 or back it's just like a clean install.

You didn't reveal why you would do this. I'm now on Windows 7 Pro 64 and haven't had a problem yet.
Bob

Collapse -
Down grade from 64 bit to 32 bit
by wmlcouch / December 27, 2009 5:31 AM PST

Reason is i run 32 bit programs for project managment and a lot of the features do not operate in 64 bit enviroment.

Collapse -
Given that little to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2009 5:34 AM PST

I can't offer any fixes. All my stuff works fine here. And I mean everything.

Collapse -
I share your pain...
by GiftaGab / January 19, 2010 9:54 AM PST

My company provides various technology trainings for in-office diagnostic medical equipment. They each have their own software package configured to 32bit. With each new buyer, we provide a laptop and printer.

Best Buy no longer sells any 32bit computers. But for like a $150, the Geeksquad will convert it for you. Supposedly... If they run a utility program, they should not charge you. Perhaps I can agree to a fee for reinstalling the operating system from 64bit to 32bit. That can take some time. Better price range $50-$75, making online coupons available Happy

Have there been any developments?

http://www.dynamiclinx.com

Collapse -
Link spam is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2010 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: I share your pain...

Not allowed. Post again without the spam please.

Collapse -
Confusion
by GiftaGab / January 19, 2010 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: Link spam is

Why is a link to my website - where part of my content matter resides- spam?

Collapse -
Link spam
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2010 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: Confusion

Is not allowed. It's that simple. Please repost without it.

And I checked the link. It's a commercial site with services being offered. Let's keep it simple.

Content matter = Ok as long as you keep it toned down. Some use this to promote a blog or a BAND.

Content matter + Services = Link Spam.
Bob

Collapse -
I share your pain...
by GiftaGab / January 20, 2010 1:20 AM PST

My company provides various technology trainings for in-office diagnostic medical equipment. They each have their own software package configured to 32bit. With each new buyer, we provide a laptop and printer.

Best Buy no longer sells any 32bit laptops. But for like a $150, the Geeksquad will convert it for you. Supposedly... If they run a utility program, they should not charge you. Perhaps I can agree to a fee for reinstalling the operating system from 64bit to 32bit. That can take some time. Better price range $50-$75, making online coupons available Happy

Have there been any developments?

Collapse -
64 to 32 bit Windows 7 saga
by ZmaninSL / December 4, 2010 6:58 AM PST

I use a online game called Second Life and they do not support 64 bit. I crash and loose my entire computer so its a big pain. So since my premium home version contains both 32 and 64. Why is it impossible to get simple instructions for switching back to 32? you can find a ton on 32 to 64 but not other way around. Maddening

Collapse -
Other second life viewers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 7:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Perhaps
by PKsteven / December 4, 2010 7:27 AM PST

Or even more maddening how there may be a simple update that fixes this issue if you search, or the fact that installing to X86 folder has solved this and that others play this without issue to begin with.

Collapse -
I see why Second Life users are confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps

I had to read the wiki to see why. Too bad folk can't get the second life web site updated in all places.
Bob

Collapse -
In that regard
by PKsteven / December 4, 2010 7:51 AM PST

I agree. For the size of such a site, a quick explanation change on the site can't be that difficult. (Or one would think).

A bit of research on the user end prior to installing a 64 bit system helps as well.

Two easily avoidable issues, one big problem.

Collapse -
And I think we left them still confused. Let's nail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: In that regard

There is support from Second Life for Windows 7 both 64 and 32 bit.

There is no need to change the OS.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.