Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Double size taskbar

by gabeg / April 23, 2004 7:26 AM PDT

On a new Dell running XP,my taskbar changed to double size and I can not reduce it to one line by dragging or anything else. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Double size taskbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Double size taskbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Double size taskbar
by ChuckT / April 23, 2004 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Double size taskbar

I have seen this happen a couple times too, and the regular steps of getting it back, don't seem to work.

If you are not aware of the regular steps:
1) unlock the Taskbar by right clicking a blank area in the Taskbar area and un-check the [Lock the Taskbar] selection.

2) more the cursor to a top edge of the Taskbar, and you will see a double-headed up/down arrow.

3) drag the arrow up, to first make it thicker (or wider) and then back down to the width you really want.

4) assuming you get what you want, then just lock the Taskbar again.

Note: it helps, sometimes, to not have any applications running as selections at the time. I have seen some applications "insist" in not permitting the Taskbar width get back to "normal"
----------
What have I done when the above hasn't worked?
Rebooted. SillyShocked That seems to have fixed the times it was really weird.

Collapse -
Re:Re: Double size taskbar
by gabeg / April 23, 2004 8:15 AM PDT

I have tried both solutions and neithr works.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re: Double size taskbar
by ChuckT / April 23, 2004 10:07 AM PDT

Here is another guess:
Change the Taskbar properties of "Hide inactive icons"
(That's when the right side of the Taskbar will go through automatic contraction, or not, of icons not recently selected. the "< or >" button shows when you have "Hide" selected.

My hope here is that the toggling (and applying) of the property may tickle Windows desktop enough to remind it what it supposed to do. Then go back and adjust the Taskbar height manually again.

Hope that works.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / April 23, 2004 10:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
by radean / April 23, 2004 11:45 AM PDT

Gabeg
How many items in your Quick Launch bar? Too many may cause a "wrap" effect.
Also, have you created any other Toolbars? This can certainly cause your problem.
I have a pretty full Quick Launch bar, plus another bar for handy shortcuts, so mine is normally double size. But since I have it configured to Autohide, it doesn't bother me at all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.