Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

double n cards?

by Peter Saysell / April 29, 2011 8:11 AM PDT

I have been told by my internet provider that I need to have a double n card fitted to my computer in order to operate a wireless router on it. it works on windows XP. Could this this true or is there a way round it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: double n cards?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: double n cards?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you tell a little more?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: double n cards?

I would have to guess that you wanted to avoid getting a router by using your computer as a router. While there are some discussions about that, most of the time it involves too much tweaking and has shown to be unstable.

Tell more about what you are trying to do.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did I miss something here?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 5:22 AM PDT

Is this a laptop or a PC Desktop?

If a laptop, does it have a wireless card already installed inside?

If it is a Desktop PC, generally there is no internal wireless card, so it will not connect wirelessly to a router. However on my Dell Dimension Desktop running XP I overcame that with a simple USB wireless adapter, eg something like this;
http://www.hedonmediasupplies.net/images/product_jpgs/accs/netgear_usb.jpg

However, there was a Catch 22 with mine. I had to access the router's setup page, (using my browser), to setup wireless, but I couldn't access it with the adapter until it was setup. So, I had to connect to the router by cable whilst the adapter was connected, access the router setup page using my browser, set up the passwords and security for wireless, then shut down, remove the PC to router wired connection, then boot up again before the adapter would connect me. It was all very confusing at the time.

But your router setup manual will show you what to do.

Mark

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Double n Cards
by Peter Saysell / April 29, 2011 8:19 AM PDT

Hello Bob

Collapse -
Sorry but that's a very odd setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Double n Cards

Most setups have us connect to the internet with some cable modem, DSL modem and then we add a router to that modem.

If I connected a wireless router to my PC it would be with ethernet or wifi to set it up. But all that would be in the router's manual.

As it is very unclear what the setup is, we'll have to wait for more story and what parts and connections as well as what the goal is here.
Bob

Collapse -
Double n Cards
by Peter Saysell / April 29, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

No I have used cables to the modem, ethernet linked not wifi.

Collapse -
let's try a little more blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Double n Cards

You have a modem.

You are trying to avoid adding a router.

Is that the goal?

Collapse -
Double n cards
by Peter Saysell / April 29, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

No I have a modem, a Router and it is connected via ethernet but it will not connect wirelessly. The only way I can get it to work is to hook it up with the telephone wire as well and make it wired.

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Double n cards

Without make, model of modem, router it's not possible to see where the issue is.

It could be that you want to not use the phone wire but for DSL that is MANDATORY from the wall to the DSL modem. Let's hope this is not the goal.
Bob

Collapse -
Double N Cards
by Peter Saysell / April 29, 2011 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

Ok Will try again.

Collapse -
Most all routers REQUIRE that they be set up ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 30, 2011 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Double n cards

and most have wireless disabled by default.

Have you actually set up the router? Had you taken the time in your initial post to tell us the make and model of the router we could have helped more.

Dig out the user manual that came with the router and Read The Fine Manual about setting up wireless connections.

That manual will casually mention that the computer will NEED to have a Wireless Network card installed and set up too in case you haven't got one installed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.