Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Double mouse pointer???

I've recently been getting a double mouse pointer after I boot up my PC ...it will sometimes go back to normal after re-booting but then again...sometimes not. In addition, I am sometimes having the problem of it 'hanging' on boot-up before windows loads. I was told I may have a bad boot-sector in my hard drive, but I've run the manufacturers scan and results are fine. Not sure if these two problems are related or not.
Any idea what causes this...and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Double mouse pointer???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Double mouse pointer???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What about your PC?

In reply to: Double mouse pointer???

Collapse -
Thanx for the reply but...

In reply to: What about your PC?

Hmmm...I'm FAR from a computer tech, but I've got my case open already and visual inspection doesn't look as if any of the symptoms described there are apparent with any capacitors in my system. I hope that isn't the problem.
Just noticed too...there is a fine verticle line on screen that makes whatever text is beneith it to look jumbled or truncated...it is only like one character wide. Also, the problem with the double mouse pointer is only apparent when dragged over certain elements on the screen (for example, the text body of this message...everything else on the page I'm on to write this appears fine.
I've got an Hp pavilion, AMD athlon 1.3 gig w/onboard graphics...if that helps any???
This might sound strange, but is it possible it is a monitor problem (maybe not so much the boot-up hang...but the mouse curser problem) because my onscreen colours are way off in my graphics program and I was told it was possible that my monitor was on it's way out.
Any advice?

Collapse -
Sounds like the machine needs repair.

In reply to: Thanx for the reply but...

That jumbled line is usually caused by bad ram or bad video chips. In your case it's onboard video so the verdict could be grim.

How old is this box? Is the inside clean, all the fans working?

Bob

Collapse -
Strange???

In reply to: Sounds like the machine needs repair.

ummm yeah inside is fairly clean although I'll try blowing it out again, and cpu fan and all others seem to be working fine. I have two sticks of ram in it...one is only matter of months old and another is only a week or so.
It's wierd though because as I said before the problem(s) are only occasional. Haven't had the boot up problem in probably last 10 boot ups (more if you consider the number of times I re booted trying to get the mouse pointer to go back to normal. (which BTW since I last posted I hard booted again and now screen is fine as well as the mouse pointer?????????????
AS I said, I'm not a computer tech, but anything else (non computer related) I'd be working on I'd lean more towards bad connection of some sort seeing as how it is an intermittent problem.
Hmmmm...any other idea's?

Collapse -
That new ram? I'd remove it. Here's why.

In reply to: Strange???

Since the video memory is shared from system ram it's too likely the new ram could be the source of the trouble. Remove that stick and retest.

Bob

Collapse -
bad video chip???

In reply to: Sounds like the machine needs repair.

Even though I have on-board video...IF the problem is most likely a bad video chip as you suggested as a possibility, am I not able to instal a separate graphics card into one of my open PCI slots???
How would I go about determining if it IS in fact the video chip?

Collapse -
What kind of mouse do you have by chance?

In reply to: bad video chip???

Also what kind of graphics card do you use? Can you give some specifics?

Collapse -
info...

In reply to: What kind of mouse do you have by chance?

mouse is just a cheapie KEIO optical...nothing special...but same mouse works fine on my home PC.
...As for graphics card...It's on board so no card to check as far as I know...not sure what info I can give ya???

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.