Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Double entry on "C" drive

by rvc73 / August 7, 2010 3:52 AM PDT

Can someone tell me why I have a double entry of folder on my "C" drive? I two separate folders for "amd64" abd "i386". One is located in a folder called "6e7a65d4d6152b3b80afb49003dbf4" and the second one is located in a folder called "28a7b46933f3835c10". It seems to me the "amd64" and "i386" were folders under my "C" drive. I don't know how they got where they are and can I just move one to the "C" drive and delete the other? Thank you.

My computer system is"

Dell XPS 700
Intel Core2 Duo processor
w/DualCore technology w/2MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Double entry on "C" drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Double entry on "C" drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It may be Explorer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 3:57 AM PDT

Explorer shows things that are not on a drive or duplicates. It's an old issue but let's get a look at the REAL DRIVE C next.

Go get Gyula's Navigator and see if there is a real dupe or if Explorer is up to its old tricks.
Bob

Collapse -
Double entry on "C" drive by rvc73
by rvc73 / August 7, 2010 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: It may be Explorer.

I downloaded Gyula's Navigator and ran the program. The entries show up on both sides of Gyula's Navigator. Now what?

Collapse -
You may need on site support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 11:25 PM PDT

Gyula's Navigator does have 2 panes. We only look at one pane to see the C drive. If I pointed both panes to C the uninitiated might think these are duplicates.

Maybe you need to post a screenshot on photobucket to show what concerns you?
Bob

Collapse -
I'm fairly certain those odd named folders came via
by Steven Haninger / August 7, 2010 5:04 AM PDT

windows updates and are probably not necessary at all. I've seen these even on other than the Windows partition and I just get rid of them. Sometimes they refuse to go without taking ownership first. I recognize your amd64 entry as one I've seen numerous times on PCs with Intel processors so presume they have something to do with a SP3 glitch that occurred with some models. You definitely don't have need for this on your Intel system.

Collapse -
by rvc73 / August 7, 2010 5:28 AM PDT

Are you saying I do not need these files ie: "amd64" and "i386" or should I copy and paste them to my C:\ drive? As I said, they were on the drive previously and I don't want to delete something I need for Windows XP?

Collapse -
The amd64 folder is definitely not needed
by Steven Haninger / August 7, 2010 8:54 AM PDT

as it's for AMD processor support. You have an Intel processor. The i386 folder, if redundant, isn't needed and is not normally accessed by the OS. If you wish, you can burn it to CD as it contains files to reinstall the OS if needed. Such will also be on recovery media and it's not essential that the folder be on your HD. When it comes via Windows updates, it's possible that it doesn't contain current Windows files but those that might be needed if such as a service pack is removed. It does no harm but you'd never need two instances of it. If you want one copy, check the file dates of those in duplicate folders and eliminate the one with older dates.

Collapse -
by rvc73 / August 7, 2010 11:12 AM PDT

Thank you very much for the help, it is really appreciated. One more question. As I am going to leave one of them in my "C" drive, should I leave it (i386) in the "6e7a65d4d61 etc" folder or should I move it directly into the "C"(local disk)? Thanks

Collapse -
With the decision made to keep one copy,
by Steven Haninger / August 7, 2010 7:46 PM PDT

I'd first check (as mentioned earlier) the differences between the files in the two folders and then decide which to keep. I can't know for certain but could think the odd named folder is for the purpose of undoing something and may have the older files. If it does and you're happy with your PC's operation, those files are certainly expendable. You might also, check that folder to see who owns it. If it's system owned, you cannot do anything before taking ownership of it yourself. But, if you want to keep that copy of i386, it won't matter what the folder name is. Normally, what I've seen of that directory, is it's in the root or the Windows folder depending on how the original installation was done.

I'll suggest that another way to keep the folder would be to burn it to disk and just remove it from the HD anyway. As I mentioned earlier, it has no everyday purpose though it might have value if the need to use the recovery console occurs. I've not had need to do so but "SFC" might make use of that folder if files are corrupt and need to be replaced. In that case, you'd need the proper version and a path to the files. A burned CD would work well.

I know this isn't the exact answer you're wanting. I can't find a good reason to worry about this unless one is trying to recover disk space. If this was my own decision to make and I needed the disk space, I'd probably burn both copies to CD and then move both to another partition for a while...after which, if all was well, take them off the system. Good luck.

Collapse -
by rvc73 / August 8, 2010 4:02 AM PDT

I think you have provided me with all you can and again I certainly appreciate all the help you have given me. I will follow your advise and burn a CD with that file for safekeeing. By the way both entries were identical in size, dates etc so I deleted one of them yesterday. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?