General discussion

Double-Dutched on IRQ Assignments :(

Hello

I hope some of you can help me tackle this problem. My brother recently bought a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L motherboard with NVIDEA nForce2 chipset. Running on Win98SE, with an AuthenticAMD Sempron(tm) 2500+ Pocessor, 512MB Ram, nVidea GeForce4 MX 400 128MB Graphics card, and a 120GB Western Digital HD.

I downloaded and installed all the Win98SE updates for him. I disabled onboard Lan and Audio from the BIOS, because he doesn't want his PC for internet access (so no modem required), and he intends to buy an external soundcard for audio recording. The PCI Bus in the Device manager keeps showing up in error mode, so I looked in the Problem Devices section of the System Information. I'm looing at a long list of PCI related problems with "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI Steering' entries. What have I done wrong?

Is windows failing to read the Nvidea motherboard drivers correctly? Please help me Sad......thank you for your time and patience.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Double-Dutched on IRQ Assignments :(
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Double-Dutched on IRQ Assignments :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Check for latest Bios....
- Collapse -
Mobo drivers?

Did someone forget to install/update these?

Just an opinion, when you plunk that old OS into new hardware you might have to fuss a bit to get all the proper pieces to make everything happy.

Off the shelf pieces are designed for XP.

- Collapse -
Still tugging at the forelock :)

Thanks guys for your replies! I took Michael's advice and Flashed the Bios (saving the current Bios settings also).

Rebooted, and I'm back in Device Manager. Everything is showing up dandy, with no known conflicts (The Root Hub and Host Controllers are now correctly listed). But System Information still reports the ACPI/IRQ mis-match. I've noticed that some IRQ Assignments are duplicated:

SMBus Cntrlr 11 (IRQ)
Display Cntrlr 11 (IRQ)
USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr 9
ACPI Controller 9 (IRQ)
USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr 5 (IRQ)
USB 2.0 Host Cntrlr 10 (IRQ)
IDE Cntrlr 14(IRQ).

Is there a way I could assign the correct numbers to the duplicated ones? Or is it (as bob suggested) part and parcel of an old OS? Thanks again for keeping me informed Happy

- Collapse -
RE:

1. The article [Q182628] explains the settings Windows uses when programming IRQ steering and the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) PCI bus IRQ steering relationship.

2. The article [Q182604] explains that Windows provides support for PCI bus IRQ steering which dynamically assign or "steer" PCI bus IRQs to PCI devices. The steering provides the flexibility to reprogram PCI interrupts when rebalancing Plug and Play PCI and ISA resources around non-Plug and Play ISA devices.

3. Supplemental reading:

a. "Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager (Q125174)."

b. "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering" Problem Device Entry in System Information Tool (Q272291), Windows Millennium.

- Collapse -
Checking out the links

Thank you CursorCowboy. I'll be checking out those Articles over the weekend. Apologies for not getting back sooner Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info