Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

dosx Error

by fmartino / June 30, 2004 4:21 AM PDT

I am using Windows XP Pro for about two years now and the only problem I have is when i try to load certain programs I get the error message "The WIN16 subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DosX.exe must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and Present in your Path" can anyone tell me what it means and how to solve the problem Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dosx Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dosx Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: dosx Error
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2004 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: dosx Error
Collapse -
dosx error
by gkappus / February 16, 2005 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re: dosx Error

I have the same problem. It appeared after I expanded autoexec.nt from my Windows XP CD for the second time. I reviewed the thread you linked to and did not find the answer to the DOSX problem. Could you give more idiot proof directions to the correct message or other help? Thanks.

Collapse -
Need a better error message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2005 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: dosx error
Collapse -
Dosx.exe
by gkappus / February 17, 2005 9:47 AM PST

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, my problem is not the usual NT file problem addressed in the threads and notes that you referred me to. I have mastered the fix for that. (Although I need to get a handle on stopping it from recurring.) My problem has to do with DOSX.EXE not being in my AUTOEXEC.NT and present in my PATH, and theWINN14 Subsysten being "unable to enter the Protected Mode." I don't find the solution to that in the links referred to in your answer or other threads on CNET. (Maybe I just didn't recognize it when I saw it. I admit that I need idiot proof.) There is an article on Microsoft Support, but it doesn"t seem to apply to Windows XP, and I don't understand it anyway. Sorry to be so clueless. If you or anyone else has any suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Read part 1 and 2 at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2005 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Dosx.exe
Collapse -
dosx.exe answer
by rgm0737 / March 1, 2005 12:30 PM PST

I encountered the same problem and this fix didn't work. I finally fixed it by opening the autoexec.nt with wordpad and added c:\windows\system32\dosx.exe at the end of the existing path command. Only thing that worked for me.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank You!
by Ruth1346 / March 30, 2005 1:26 AM PST
Collapse -
dosx.exe
by frenk / March 12, 2005 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: Dosx.exe

I've had a similar problem. The following worked for me (and is rather idiot-proof):
! With the Windows XP CD in your CD-drive:
>>>Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
>>>Type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command (take care that it is caracter-wise OK, the first four times (!?) I typed it wrong and so it didn't work at first) and mind the space after the underscore:

expand F:\i386\config.nt_ C:\windows\system32\config.nt
expand F:\i386\autoexec.nt_ C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
expand F:\i386\command.co_ C:\windows\system32\command.com
exit

Replace F: with whatever letter your CD drive is.
Restart windows and your program ..............
As said on other posts I also think there was a virus involved that crashed (one of) my three files.

Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.