Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

DOS session saved to a file?

by OloRin / May 25, 2005 5:00 AM PDT

Hi,

I am running repetitive command line tests and got to thinking if there was a way to save the contents of an entire DOS session (in Windows XP) to a file. I remember doing this using a command called "script" in Unix during college.

Not sure whether this command is available for use on WinXP.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DOS session saved to a file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DOS session saved to a file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No but.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2005 5:44 AM PDT

I get very close if I have OpenSSH installed on some machine and I ssh in. That's a terminal program and it is possible to log terminal sessions.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
OpenSSH in windows
by OloRin / May 25, 2005 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No but.

Hi Bob,

To clarify, are you suggesting that if I installed OpenSSH on my WinXP laptop and then initiated a session (a session to the same machine (loopback ip 127.0.0.1?)) that I will be able to log that session and that it would still be able to run all the commands and programs that I would normally be able to run in a CMD.exe window?

If yes, any freeware openssh ports for WindowsXP that you recommend?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Sorry, but I offer no gurantee, warantee or such statements.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2005 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: OpenSSH in windows

All I can share is that for the command line work I need to do, this works for me. I was offering it as a possible solution and can never state or offer any assurance of performance or suitability. Such is for you to discover.

Sorry, but you seem to want some ironclad statement that everything will work. But I can't offer that since we are using the work of thousands and it is too likely that someday, something won't work.

However, the putty OpenSSH I use was found with ease on google and serves me quite well. You'll have to test it out to see if it fits your needs.

Bob

PS. Where's my lawyer?

Collapse -
Call the lawyers....Not!
by OloRin / May 26, 2005 4:06 AM PDT

Sorry Bob,

Sincere apologies. I really didn't mean it like that. What I was curious about was the ability to use DOS-like commands inside an OpenSSH shell - My (mis?)conception was that OpenSSH was kinda like a secure telnet and I might be getting restricted to using Unix commands or some such. I really apologize for sounding so "demanding".

Thanks for the OpenSSH implementation recommendation.

Also, while surfing for a solution - I came across an app called TCAP32 which saves a log of your DOS session into a file - unfortunately in the readme it says it doesn't work with WinXP or Win2000. (So, for all you Win9Xers, try it out... ) I downloaded it and tried it - the file ended up 0 size on WinXP.

Collapse -
I use OpenSSH or putty to a Windows 2000/XP machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2005 6:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Dos can use redirection
by pratapan / April 29, 2006 1:35 PM PDT

I am not sure if this fits your need.

tracert www.yahoo.com > filename.txt

This command will do a trace route to yahoo.com and redirect the output to a text file name filename.txt.
That is probably as close to the script command that you are going to get.

SKrall

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.