Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

DOS FILENAME QUESTION

by bjalpha / November 20, 2007 12:38 AM PST

I need some help. I had my entire MP3 library in a Windows PC that crashed. My only access to the hard drive was through DOS so I copied the MP3 files from one hard drive to another and moved the new hard drive to my new PC. When I accessed the files, all the filenames had of course been truncated by DOS so what I see now on Windows is the 8 letter name. For example, 'Beat It' by Michael Jackson now appears as BEATIT~M. Can someone tell me how to restore the filenames to the original Windows full names. The new system is has IDE HDs and running WinXP SP2. File System is NTFS on all drives.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DOS FILENAME QUESTION
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DOS FILENAME QUESTION
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DOS can't copy to/from NTFS drives.
by Kees Bakker / November 20, 2007 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: DOS FILENAME QUESTION

So you didn't use DOS. Please tell a little bit more.

Kees

Collapse -
Dos Filename-Update
by bjalpha / November 20, 2007 1:21 AM PST

The old HD that originally had the MP3 files was FAT32. I copied to a HD that was FAT32 and then moved that new HD to a new PC with NTFS system. I converted the file system on the HD from FAT32 to NTFS. So what I have now is HD with NTFS file system full of MP3s with truncated filenames which I would like to convert to full filenames. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: short filenames.
by Kees Bakker / November 21, 2007 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Dos Filename-Update

That makes is clear. Real mode MS-DOS (that's the MS-DOS you booted into in Windows 95/98/ME, and it's quite different from the Command window in those OS'es) doesn't support long filenames. It only handles the short variant. That's the way it works. So the long name is gone.

The three ways to get the files with the original long filename:
1. Manual rename.
2. Restore them from your backup (no backup? you just learned why it's better to have it)
3. Mount the original drive as a slave (or better said: not the c:) in any Windows PC (Windows 95 or later) and you have access to the files. Burn them to CD, copy them to a USB-key and you're OK.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!