Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dong Ngo, CNET Associate Technology Editor live!

Ask the Editors live chat event: Computer networking

Do you have questions on home computer networking? Or how about questions on routers or network attached storage? If you do, you've come to the right place!

For one whole hour on Thursday, July 24, starting at 11 a.m. Pacific time (2 p.m. Eastern), CNET Associate Technology Editor for networking and network attached storage, Dong Ngo will be here to answer your questions and discuss anything to do with computer networking--from routers, NAS devices, to home networking.

Don't miss out and bring your networking questions for Dong!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dong Ngo, CNET Associate Technology Editor live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dong Ngo, CNET Associate Technology Editor live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hello!

In reply to: Dong Ngo, CNET Associate Technology Editor live!

Hi guys, I am here. Ask away!

Collapse -
network storage

I have a home wireless network and I am interested in buying the Linksys Network Storage System with 2 Bays for my network. I chose this product because disk space an be divided and password protected among users and I could access the information on

Collapse -
Lots of choices.

In reply to: network storage

Collapse -
Hi question about the new Fios triple play service.

On the website, it said the fios triple play came with a free router and i have 3 laptops so i was wondering if i could configure it so that all 3 laptops connect to the internet wirelessly or do i have to have one of them as a desktop and stay hooked to one place?

Collapse -
backup

do you know how to hook up a seagate to a linksys wireless router to hook up to time machine?

Collapse -
wireless b and g mix?

if i have a wireless g network with 4 pc's that all have wireless g and 1 pc that has wireless b would it improve my network speed if i hardwire the wireless b computer and then change my router settings from B/G mix to G only?

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: wireless b and g mix?

Yes, that would help. However, you want to move all of them to Wireless-N if possible.

Collapse -
Best Routers?

hich is the best router today and why is d-link 855 off the market? Is the Linksys wta610N a good router, and what wireless cards should be used with it to optimize speed in the wireless network?

Collapse -
Hard to say

In reply to: Best Routers?

Collapse -
Connection problem

I have a linksys router and I am trying to connect with a desktop with a dlink wireless card. It connects on start up but will never get an ip and go out to the internet until I do a repair in win xp. Then it works fine. What could be wrong? It;s an inconvenience to do a repair each startup.
FS

Collapse -
Driver issue

In reply to: Connection problem

It might be a driver issue, try updating the driver of the card. Sometimes you just need to uninstall and reinstall it. Also, try removing the wireless network from the desktop and re-adding it. That might help too.

Collapse -
NAS Drive

What is the best way to secure a NAS drive (Buffalo LinkStation Live) - 500GB Version

Thanks

Collapse -
Strong password

In reply to: NAS Drive

The same way you keep most of other devices, that require logging in, secure: keep the admin username and password for yourself. Also, make sure those who have access to it don't have admin privileges.

Collapse -
Router

Hi, i want to buy a good router that works with all the things in my house. I have a large house, ps3, wii, psp, ds, desktop, and a laptop. i also have a two floor house where the router is going to be on the top floor and the laptop on the bottom floor, so need a router to give good to the laptop wirelessly? my laptop has wireless g in it. i want you to help me pick a router

Collapse -
Lots of choices

In reply to: Router

Collapse -
Re: NAS Drive

Ok But I was wondering if there should be security software running on the drive...

Collapse -
Firmware

In reply to: Re: NAS Drive

The device's firmware should suffice.

Collapse -
Router antenna

Is there a speed difference between a double antennas router and a single antenna router?

Collapse -
It depends

In reply to: Router antenna

It depends on the router's processor and how its firmware is optimized. The common sense is double is better than single Happy

Collapse -
wireless print server for a current wirless network?

Are you aware of a product that exists that would allow me to connect 3 or more printers to a print server but instead of having to hook the print server into an Ethernet port, would be able to access my current wireless network?

I don't think that this product exists today on the market but I thought I would give it a shot.

I'd like to put my three printers in an area where there is Ethernet ports. Any other ways of accomplishing this without tearing into my drywall?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Collapse -
No

In reply to: wireless print server for a current wirless network?

No, I haven't heard of such printserver, you can get a hub and get 3 printsers for those printer. Or you can just get a hub and 3 printers that have built-in printserver. You can even find pritner that have built-in wireless printserver too.

Collapse -
Re: Re: NAS Drive

OK Thanks.. that helps

Collapse -
Budget home network router

Hi i'm currently on an old d-link router thats kind of choppy at times. I was wondering what the best budget router for the home is. I also play games online from time to time, so some speed would be nice too.

Collapse -
There are a few

In reply to: Budget home network router

Collapse -
Draft N

Just a qucik question as to whether or not the "new" N wireless protocol is that much faster than the current G?

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Draft N

Much faster.

Collapse -
(NT) I sold a cow to buy this Linksys router. How do I connect to your heart?

Collapse -
The usual way

In reply to: I sold a cow to buy this Linksys router. How do I connect to your heart?

Through the stomach that is. Thanks Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Is the Linksys WRT54G a good router?

Collapse -
AT&T 2Wire Router

Is the AT&T 2Wire router any good?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.