Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Don't you just love Glenn Beck?

by Diana Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 12:39 PM PST

I was listening to him on the radio for the few minutes it took me to pick up my son. He was complaining about lowering the salt content of food. I don't have any problem with that. I think it's terrible that I have to work at deluting the salt in everything when it would be easier to just salt your food if you like lots of salt.

Then he goes on about how Prohibition was such a terrible idea And what happened? It failed miserably. It only caused many more problems. And the answer? Because what they were trying to do is cure alcoholism. Well, you can't cure alcoholism like that. You can't do that. Well, we've got to take alcohol because alcohol's bad. So they wanted to take alcohol away. Instead a guy named Bill started AA. He was a hopeless alcoholic. He came up with this plan. They developed this plan and it works. It saved my life. So now the alcoholic solved it. The guy who had crashed and burned. The guy who was at the very bottom. Instead of being protected from any pain like the progressives wanted, he went through the pain and he actually is saving lives even today. Through alcoholic anonymous. Now, you tell me, doesn't that sound like almost everything we're facing right now? They want to take away all pain. They know better. They'll stop it. They'll fix it. When indeed all they do is create more and bigger problems and different problems. When if you would just let the people fail, they'll figure a way out.

Does this mean that the war on drugs is wrong and a big mistake?

Diana

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Don't you just love Glenn Beck?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Don't you just love Glenn Beck?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did we win?
by EdHannigan / January 12, 2010 12:45 PM PST

Did it work?

Collapse -
(NT) You decide - Did prohibition work?
by Diana Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Did we win?
Collapse -
Obviously not.
by EdHannigan / January 12, 2010 10:38 PM PST

So what is your point?

Collapse -
Glenn Beck on legalization of MJ
by EdHannigan / January 12, 2010 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Obviously not.
Collapse -
Good for him
by Josh K / January 13, 2010 12:26 AM PST

Prohibition was repealed because the "war on alcohol" was unwinnable and resulted in the creation of a hugely profitable criminal enterprise.

So no, we didn't "win" the war on drugs and we won't, because we can't, certainly not by literally making it a war. The best way to reduce drug use is education and finding ways to address the reasons people take drugs in the first place. You "win" this one by cutting demand, not supply. I don't believe hard drugs should be legalized but I've supported the legalization (and regulation, and taxation) of marijuana for ages.

Collapse -
So you are in agreement withMre. Beck...
by EdHannigan / January 13, 2010 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Good for him

see how easy it is when you look for yourelf instead of following the usual talking points from the usual soureces.?

I'd bet that the majority of lefties who consider Beck a whacko actually have never listened to him and have no idea what his opinions are. He is a "conservative" and therefore a "fascist."

Collapse -
He's still a wacko, Ed
by Josh K / January 13, 2010 6:45 AM PST

Even wackos are right once in a while. And I never called him a fascist.

Collapse -
Never said you did...
by EdHannigan / January 13, 2010 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: He's still a wacko, Ed

but I do see it all the time from the left. They are wrong, even as you are wrong.

His presentation is a bit too bombastic, which I don't care for, but he makes good sense most of the time.

But you are welcome to your opinion.

Collapse -
(NT) Who is Glenn Beck?
by Angeline Booher / January 12, 2010 11:03 PM PST
Collapse -
I wish I didn't know either
by Josh K / January 13, 2010 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Who is Glenn Beck?

He's a loon with a show on Fox who is constantly predicting the end of the world because the Democrats are in power. He cries a lot, crocodile tears like Tammy Faye Bakker used to do but without the excess makeup.

Collapse -
Question, Josh...
by J. Vega / January 13, 2010 1:40 AM PST

Josh, did you feel that he was a loon and call him that when he was at CNN, or did you start posting such an opinion after he went to Fox?

Collapse -
(NT) did he voice the same opinions when at CNN?
by jonah jones / January 13, 2010 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Question, Josh...
Collapse -
Probably not
by Angeline Booher / January 13, 2010 2:45 AM PST

.... because I think if he had, as a regular CNN viewer, I certainly would have remembered him.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Petty much...
by EdHannigan / January 13, 2010 5:22 AM PST

toned down a little. And of course that was before some of the crazier things that have occurred lately transpired.

Collapse -
Yes. Not in as extreme a manner,but his opinions were very
by Ziks511 / January 13, 2010 9:12 AM PST

partisan and pretty revolting and were quite apparently being fed to him from the Noise Machine. I don't recall him blubbering on air there however.

Rob

Collapse -
Thought he was a loon when he was at CNN
by Josh K / January 13, 2010 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Question, Josh...

The move to Fox made sense; he fits in better there with the other loons. Wink

Collapse -
At least you are consistent...
by EdHannigan / January 13, 2010 7:23 AM PST

in your wrongheadedness.

Tell me, what do you think of Olbermann? How about Maddow?

Collapse -
Olbermann and Maddow
by Josh K / January 13, 2010 11:19 PM PST

I used to like Keith Olbermann. I thought his show was humorous as well as informative. But over the last year or so he's gotten much too angry for me. I don't watch his show these days.

Rachel Maddow -- I think she's pretty bright and well-informed. I may not always agree with what she's saying but I think she presents her case well. I catch her show occasionally but at that hour I tend to want to relax, and all those talking head shows aren't exactly relaxing fare.

Collapse -
Oh, Angeline, you are sooo lucky. Please keep that
by Ziks511 / January 13, 2010 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: Who is Glenn Beck?

unfamiliarity intact, because he will only annoy you and depress you.

Rob

Collapse -
I've been an opponent of the War on Drugs for a long time.
by James Denison / January 13, 2010 12:57 AM PST

It's aim shifted from stopping people from harming themselves into a whole 'nother legal system morass we are forced to support. It breaks up homes needlessly. It incarcerates some people who otherwise are getting along OK in their lives. It's costing taxpayers to prosecute casual users who often other than the use thereof are not criminals. It has encouraged crime by creating a protected market for those willing to work and sell the product under the restraints, and because of the nature of the market created, that puts more money than would otherwise have gone into the hands of organized criminals, who DO engage in violence to protect that business. It's become one of the prime excuses to override our freedoms in this country with ever increasing intrustion into rights concerning our privacy, our property, our families. It funnels wealth out of the country that might otherwise have stayed in the country. It draws resources away from violent crimes that are separate from the drug trade. Since money gained in raids on drug lords is often shared with police depts that made the raids, of course that leads to a desire on part of police departments to concentrate on where the money is. All around it's been a failure. Most of the drugs were available over the counter years ago even before FDA came along and there was certainly less violent crime then than now. The War on Drugs needs to change into something else. Instead of sending people to prison, work on rehabilitation, but when they are ready, not dragging them in off the streets or we'd have another type of war going on.

Collapse -
Crime...
by J. Vega / January 13, 2010 2:24 AM PST

I have a couple of thoughts. Many street gang members sell drugs, and they could be classified as members of an "organized" crime unit. If those drugs were suddenly all made legal and available elsewhere legally, would those gang members stop their attempts to make money that way, or switch that effort to other illegal ways of making money?
Yes, many people are in prison on drug charges, but I wonder something. How many of them are in there on a "plea bargain"? Example: if someone were caught with 6 ounces of Heroin, was charged with possession with the intent to distribute, and plead it down to a simple possession charge, would saying that they were a casual user in prison for simple possession be an accurate portrayal of the situation?
You mentioned drugs being freely available in the past and the amount of violent crime back then. Yes, in the early 1900's, you could even order things like morphine and Heroin through the Sears catalog. Yes, there was less crime in raw numbers back then, the population was much smaller, but I wonder how the "rate" of such crimes compares. I don't know the answer to that last one, it would take a little research, it's just something that hit me reading your post.

Collapse -
well, I used to get Paregoric...
by James Denison / January 13, 2010 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Crime...

...when I was a kid, and cough syrup with codiene, but I didn't turn into a "druggie" when I grew up. I think most substance abusers suffer from something psychological that first leads them into substance abuse. I doubt the majority of addicts really became that way on the first hit of some drug.

Collapse -
Paregoric, I haven't heard that nme in a long time.
by Ziks511 / January 15, 2010 6:43 AM PST

An early sedative metabolized primarily in the lungs and leaving the patients breath with a distinctive and pungent smell. Fell out of use by the end of the 1960's. Not addictive.

There is an addictive personality type and it does seem to travel through families. My father's family was plagued by alcoholism. I take out my addictive behaviour on books and records and CD's and DVD's. Just as expensive, but much safer, and you can enjoy the buzz over and over again.

Rob

Collapse -
Paregoric...
by J. Vega / January 15, 2010 6:55 AM PST

Paregoric in a tincture of opium with camphor. I would think that the opium would be metabolized in the liver. The camphor would result in the smell.

Collapse -
We agree
by Diana Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 2:30 AM PST

I've said that drugs, like abortions, will never go away until the demand goes away or, at least, decreases. The answer is education and making both uncool.

Diana

Collapse -
Thought, Angeline...
by J. Vega / January 13, 2010 2:06 AM PST

When the subject of the War on Drugs comes up, it's common for alcohol and Prohibition to be mentioned. I wonder if that is a completely fair comparison.
How many times have you seen a program on drugs like crack or meth where addicts say that after trying it for the first time, they very rapidly became addicts trying to again experience the result that they experienced with that first "high", but were never able to recapture? How many people start drinking and become alcoholics so rapidly because they were trying to recapture the experience of that first drink?

Collapse -
Actually I equate it more with smoking
by Diana Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thought, Angeline...

Not everyone that does drugs become addicts. They become addicts from continual use. Same with smoking.

Diana

Collapse -
I was a cigarette addict
by James Denison / January 13, 2010 6:30 AM PST

When I really wanted to quit more than anything else, I did. It wasn't easy, but possible. They say that's as bad an addiction as heroin in regard to overcoming it.

Collapse -
My son no longer uses heroin
by Diana Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 9:04 AM PST

and is having a harder time getting off cigarette.

Diana

Collapse -
hah
by James Denison / January 13, 2010 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Thought, Angeline...

my first drinking experience involved tossing it back up, so never really wanted to experience THAT again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!