The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Don't let Microsoft mees with my Firefox

by wizardjs / August 22, 2006 7:48 AM PDT

I like having a browser that is full of holes and doesn't crash. No offense to IE users, but I like my firefox un-MSFT'd

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Don't let Microsoft mees with my Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Don't let Microsoft mees with my Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They will always mess with firefox
by Redhats Q / August 22, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

As long as active pages, Ms Servers and nightmares like Frontpage exist, Microsoft will continue to go out of its way to make sure that pages do not render right in anything but IE

Fortunately, a lot of developers are wising up to that and fixes the bad code MS generates automatically.

But still a lot wont

face it, they will always play games that force us to copy their silly dangerous and non standard extensions.

As a security friend of mine said recently in a lecture, Making OSX full of holes and as dangerous as windows is easy, Just install Microsoft Office.

.. That should start the Microsoft zealots off in full force

/me dons asbestos suit

Collapse -
MS Office?
by wizardjs / August 22, 2006 8:29 AM PDT

Really? It makes my Mac as bad as windows? Thanks for the tip

-Jake S.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) oops. my mac has office. i better start scrubbing.
by udayan71 / August 22, 2006 9:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Don't scrub it. just watch attachments
by Redhats Q / August 22, 2006 9:59 AM PDT

The problem is that you can download a word doc of the net and the entourage can then be used for virus /spam/ malware distribution without you knowing.

As with all MS product, Patch often and keep updated. If I recall he knew of about 10-15 unpatched problems with doc files that can be used on a mac system, even if they cannot hook into the os as they do in windows, they still can carry out some nasty unwanted actions without the user being aware of what is going on, these can then be used to open your network and make your windows machines vulnerable or attempt to open ports in the underlying unix shell. Tis is done by announcing (secretly) to a script kiddy the versions you are running, the OS version, its patch cycle and open ports all without you knowing anything ever happened. (unless you keep external mail logs and actually read them

By comparasim Open office (he then demonstrated neo-office) had 1 known hole on macs but it could not be used and Mail or thnderbird. would not interface with the doc and you knew something was funny. when its started asking you what you wanted to do with the files and which application you wanted to handle it.

OK so as open as windows is an overstatement, but Office is a pretty insecure suite of tools. Fortunately a good firewall will nullify most of the threats.

Its the hidden power that makes it buggy. I just listened to the lecture, which was very good, on security and how corporate systems are attacked.

Most poeple still dont realise how exploits work, and how hard it is to keep a network safe, Me included. So I keep going to the seminars and come back and add more layers of security.

Of course then Phreakers find new ways to attack me and the cycle begins anew

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's going to be a moot point when IE7 goes final
by djcoty / August 22, 2006 11:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
PathFinder and Lemon
by Wince99 / August 23, 2006 2:41 AM PDT

You know what they should do?

Use an open source project like Mozilla and incorporate it in a MS package... they could name it something like... PathFinder and the icon would be a compass. The interface could be brushed metal and include shadows and other UI goodies...

oh and they could also rename the company to something more related to fruits... maybe ... Lemon!

but that wouldn't be like MS to copy another company...

Collapse -
If ya can't beat em, join em.
by mdstout58 / August 22, 2006 12:42 PM PDT

This is revolutionary for microsoft! The wealthiest company being beat by a mostly volunteer organization! Isn't there a DMCA act against free stuff beating big companies stuff?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) if it makes IE betterthen good move...
by Silvermunkey / August 23, 2006 7:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) new question...
by Silvermunkey / August 23, 2006 7:10 AM PDT

why is microsoft being bombarded with these antitrust cases, does microsoft not have the right to put a media player in their OS or their msn messenger? I f you ask me those european and south korean politicians just want free money.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?