HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Don't know where to post this

by Marie Power / August 3, 2006 7:29 PM PDT

Hi,

I just bought my first laptop yesterday at Circuit City and it is a HP DV5220US. I was told by the salesperson the first thing to do after it is charged was to download the trial virsus protection then I could get on internet.

The problem is she said that until I purchased it I did not have full protection and could still get a virsus. I was wanting to download the good free virsus and spyware software that I found on this website.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me where to post this so that someone could tell me the steps of what I need to do. The last thing I want to do is get a virsus since thats the problem with my desktop now.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Don't know where to post this
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Don't know where to post this
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download and install
by PudgyOne / August 3, 2006 7:34 PM PDT

Download and install some type of virus protection. The ones that came with your notebook are just trial versions. Try downloading AVG FREE or Avast for your notebook. Also try Ewido, Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster. I would also look into using a host file to help keep out the baddies. Remember your mission, if you care to except it, is to keep the baddies out of your computer.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Don't Understand
by Marie Power / August 3, 2006 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Download and install

I know that what came with the laptop is a trial version but the salesperson said that I could still get virsuses or something else even with the trial version. She said until I bought something that had full protection the laptop wouldn't be safe. To me that sounds like a sales pitch because wouldn't still be unsafe while downloading something that I bought for protection? So I don't see why I can't download the freebies if I'm going to be unsafe.

I don't know what you mean by a host file for the baddies. Where can I go to get information on that and how to do it?

Thanks again for the help. It might be later before I get back on a my 4 mth old puppy is at the vet with Parvo and also I never know when I can get on my desktop since it has a virsus.

Collapse -
Laptop Security
by Baper / August 3, 2006 11:47 PM PDT

Without knowing any details, I'll make some assumptions. Your laptop probably came with a 30 or 60 day trial version of security software (probably McAfee, Norton or Trend Micro). I think the sales clerk was telling you that you must register this software and download the latest virus definitions before your computer is safe. Once you register the program, the company will probably update the virus definitions automatically. Registering it does not mean you have to purchase it - yet.
After downloading the free security programs to a folder in you computer, uninstall the free trial version on you computer and install the free software.

Collapse -
Link
by NickMets7 / August 4, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

Hello

There are many good free pieces of security software that will help you surf securely online without risking getting attacked by a trojan or virus, spyware, or getting hacked. TO ensure complete protection, I'd download (1) firewall, (1) Anti-Virus application, and at least (1) anti-spyware program. Many people recommend anti-spyware apps because what 1 app won't catch the other one will.

http://www.download.com/Best-free-security-and-spyware-software/1200-2023_4-5163183.html?tag=nl.e497

Hopefully the link above will help. I highly recommend a suite composed of the ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG Anti-Virus, and Windows Defender or a similar program for a totally free, and pretty effective protection for your PC. Additionally, you may wish to run some scans for viruses with your trial software (BTW what kind do you have?) or some scan online, like EWIDO or Housecall before you install anything. Housecall can be found on www.trendmicro.com

Hope this helps!

- Nick

Collapse -
What It Came With
by Marie Power / August 4, 2006 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Link

The laptop came with Norton Internet Security. I have to take it back this morning because for some reason that they don't understand the internet says cannot find server when I have it hooked to my cable modem and yet the desktop works when my cable modem is attached to it.

Thanks again for all the help. I plan to install and run the Norton when I get back then download the freebies and uninstall the Norton and Install and run the freebies.

Collapse -
Server Message
by Baper / August 4, 2006 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: What It Came With

Without knowing any facts this is pure speculation, but it sounds like your Norton firewall is preventing you from getting on the internet.

Collapse -
ready to start
by Marie Power / August 5, 2006 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Server Message

I just installed and ran the Norton trial version that came with the laptop. I'm now going to download AVG Anti-Virus, Zone Firewall, and Spyware Blaster. After those are downloaded I will uninstall Norton and install those programs. Is there anything else I need to download?

Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
(NT) How to uninstall Norton trial version?
by Marie Power / August 5, 2006 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: ready to start

Just finished downloading AVG, Zone & Spyware. Went to all programs and wentn to Norton and it didn't show an uninstall option. What do I do now?

I won't do anything else till I hear back from you.

thanks

Collapse -
Norton Uninstall
by Baper / August 5, 2006 9:54 PM PDT

If Norton doesn't have an uninstall option, go to Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs and find Norton in the list of programs on your computer. Remove all Norton components.

Collapse -
Free Security Questions
by Marie Power / August 6, 2006 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton Uninstall

I removed the Norton since there wasn't an uninstall option. I have installed and ran the free security software, AVG Anti-Virus, Spyware and Zone Firewall Alarm. I saw where it is free for only a certain amount of time before you have to purchase. Is there a way to continue to use it in the trial version or do you have to buy it? I was under the impression that these programs could be used free indefintely which is why I removed the Norton.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Renee

Collapse -
They are all free
by NickMets7 / August 6, 2006 4:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
downloaded wrong
by Marie Power / August 6, 2006 7:17 PM PDT
In reply to: They are all free

I think I might have gone to the wrong place to download those software programs. I just turned my computer on and those programs came up and said I have 29 days left. Should I just keep using those for now and then go to the link you provided and download those programs again from there and then remove the ones I have installed and install the ones from your link?

Also I would like know two more things. Is it okay to keep the laptop plugged in all the time even when I'm not using it and have the power off? Do I need to buy a second battery? I'm assuming that the battery stays charged when the power is on.

thank you for helping me.

Renee

Collapse -
Re: downloaded wrong
by NickMets7 / August 7, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: downloaded wrong

Yes it seems you may have downloaded the trial versions instead of the totally, unlimited free versions. The trials will provide more functionality than the free ones, so you could probably keep them until the trials expire and then download the free versions.

As for your second question: There are a million discussions already like yours about having the laptop plugged in all the time and batteries. Just search the forums for your question and you'll see the answers. With todays' laptops you can usually leave the laptop plugged in all the time, when it's on or off. And yes when the notebook is plugged in the battery stays charged/keeps charging. That's the "in-a-nutshell" conclusion, but it can be a little more complicated. For example, many believe that leaving your laptop plugged in with the battery inside will degrade your battery's performance over time. The forums are full of these discussions.

Hope this helps

- Nick

Collapse -
It helped.
by Marie Power / August 7, 2006 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: downloaded wrong

Thanks, Nick. It helped me. I'll search the forums for more info.

I'll also keep using the trial version for now. Right before they expire I'll download the freebies from your link you sent me.

Thanks again,
Renee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.