Mac OS forum

General discussion

DON'T DO THIS !!!

by grimgraphix / October 24, 2005 1:23 AM PDT

Funny story... I thought it would be cool to set up separate accounts for the other people in the house to use my iBook so After creating 2 more user accounts I noticed a conflict with user names. Rather than argue with a 12 year old I decided to change my own users name... the process I used was to simply rename my own user folder.

DON'T DO THIS !!!

I discovered the hard way that this creates a new account and completely clears the original information (files, pictures, preferences) And moved it into a hidden users account folder. After following the old axiom of "when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout" I realized that I should be smarter than the machine and calmed back down. I found the new folder and simply dragged the old library preferences and other missing files back into the old user folder while deleting the new settings and everything seemingly is back to the previous status quo.

Or is it ? Thats my question... the desktop looks like it originally did but is it ?

iBook 12 inch G4 1.2 ghz - 10.3.9

grim

BTW... apples site says "DON'T DO THAT"... at least not with 10.3 or lower. 10.4 is supposed to be easier to rename but still has certain steps you need to follow to do it correctly... another reason to upgrade when I find time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DON'T DO THIS !!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DON'T DO THIS !!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't Do This
by taboma / October 24, 2005 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: DON'T DO THIS !!!

Grim,
Did this with my server and I cannot get back in with my password. OS 10.2.3
The icon just shudders at me. Don't you hate it!?
Ouch!!!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Server
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 24, 2005 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't Do This

Do you really have a server or just a machine that you refer to as The Server?

P

Collapse -
Do you require password to...
by grimgraphix / October 25, 2005 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't Do This

even get into the desktop Kevin? If not then your original "Library" with all your settings should be waiting for you inside of the users folder in the "macintosh HD" icon in the finder or desktop (at least on 10.3... I never used 10.2).

You will find a folder that doesn't show up in the users screen that is named with the title you attempted to change to. Pull it out of the users folder onto your desktop. Open this up and you should find all your original settings and as I said... if you can drag your old library folder contents to the current admin folder (remember to pull it's contents out but save them on a desktop folder just to be safe). Peter is much more knowledgeable re: these matters so check with him or a reputable tech before doing this...I may have just told you how to destroy your hard drive instead of fixing it ! LOL. Should you need the password to access your desktop then you may be SOL. Again, I'm no expert (obviously, since I did this to begin with). I just posted this as a warning to any adventurous souls out there so as to avoid my amusing little predicament.

grim

Collapse -
Do you require password
by taboma / November 8, 2005 1:03 PM PST

Grim, Lost track of the discussion. Sorry, my mistake.
Thanks for the good info. Will be doing a clean-install with a new IT person finally this Sunday, Nov. 13th. Been waiting for a while to do this.
Repartition the hard drive and do a clean install? Me?
ForGETTTIIITTT! Let the experts and pros do that.

Hope school is going well for you. Let us know more.
Must be interesting to share information with your fellow students knowing that you could write a book on computer subjects. How does the Prof. view you getting back to school? That, I would like to know!
Does he call on you for your expertise? Do the students call on you for advice? I would if I were a student. Do they have any knowledge of your background?

-Kevin Smith

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?