Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Don't buy a ZUNE!!

by blondecin / April 3, 2008 11:20 AM PDT

I HATE MY ZUNE AND MICROSOFT!

Here is my Zune horror story:

Earlier this month, my Zune player?s screen imploded (the player was a Christmas gift). I contacted the Zune customer service, the gentleman that I spoke to ask me a series of questions about my player, two of which were if there were scratches or cracks on the screen and if I had dropped the player ? my answer was no. He assured me that if there was no damage to the screen that it was an internal problem and that it would either be repaired or replaced under warranty. He opened a case and informed me that he would be sending me a package to return the player. I received the return mailer, packaged up the player and took it to Fed Ex for shipping. I expected to receive back my player repaired or a reconditioned player as a replacement in the event that it could not be repaired.

So, you can understand my surprise when at 9:45pm on April 2nd I received a call from Jeff, an employee at the warranty repair center and was told that that the problem with my player was not covered under warranty and that they would be doing NOTHING to correct the problem! When I expressed my anger to Jeff and ask why, he replied that ?cracked? screens are not covered in the warranty, and in fact are not covered by any company in the industry. I told Jeff that my screen wasn?t cracked that there was no damage to the outside of the screen or the case. He informed me that it was internally damaged, and that they would not be repairing or replacing it, I ask to speak to his supervisor. Jessie (Jeff?s supervisor) came to the phone and said that same thing as Jeff. When I ask that my player be returned, with a written explanation of what was wrong with it and why they would not repair it, I was told by Jessie that they could return my player but would not give me a written explanation of the problem.

I have read the warranty and do not find were internal screen problems are not covered. I have always been happy with the Microsoft products that I have had in the pass, and cannot believe in the poor quality of the Zune player. My husband spent $350 for my player and accessories and it lasted 3 months! That is a poorly made product! Since Zune (Microsoft) is going to do nothing I plan to report this to Consumer Affairs, my local news and papers, and posted it on any website or message board that I can!

ZUNE PLAYERS ARE PIECES OF SH_T! ? MICROSOFT DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS AND EVERYONE SHOULD BY AN I-POD!!!! This is the last Microsoft product I will buy!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Don't buy a ZUNE!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Don't buy a ZUNE!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry
by HoopsJunky21 / April 3, 2008 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't buy a ZUNE!!

Sorry to hear that. Was it the 2nd gen Zune or the 1st?

Collapse -
Do it yourself repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 1:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. Got an ipod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Do it yourself repair.

In spite of all the online naysayers even I own one. My family has them too. The only failures were the usual drops but there is quite a market of spare parts that I can pull back about half from the recycle bin.
Bob

Collapse -
microsoft has poor customer service
by elgee27 / April 4, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

thanks for your review...i was considering buying it since cnet gave it such a high review but since it was a microsoft product i am searching for what users have said about this product.The reason why is we bought a Xbox which died after a month of owning it.....i was told by the manager that he could care less about customer service...i was upset because it was clear to see that thousand of xbox customers had the exact same problem mine had...in fact later they replaced i belive the hard drive with a different one. They wanted us to pay to send it to them and back again with no guarantee that after they fixed it, it would be really fixed. I asked this question because i also read that so many people had paid all this shipping to texas,including people literally from all over the world,to be told their xbox was fixed only to get it back and it was still doing exact same thing. SOO..i even tried calling head customer service depts outside of xbox to see if anyone would help as this product was only one month old and i got no where. SO now i am very nervous about buying any microsoft products that cost a fair amount.
I find it so sad that we saved our money to buy a $600 product and was treated like it meant nothing to them....to them maybe that is not a lot of money but for us it was and now all we have is a piece of junk.
So i am sorry that this also happen to you but appreciate that you took the time to write about your expericence. I wrote on every forum actually had problems before i buy it.. plus it is to be a gift so i really want to make suri found and also all major newspapers in my area. I now am checking those same forums besides this cnet one to see how many people e. Sad part is i trust cnet ....i just wish mircsoft followed through with basic decent customer service instead of rude and unprofessional customer service.

Collapse -
Microsoft...
by megamannt92 / April 4, 2008 3:25 AM PDT

It looks like they got you. Probably a manufacturer defect that Microsoft is too boneheaded to fix.

Some advice:

Don't get an I-pod...they are cheaply made and have designated failure times. I'd buy a Creative Zen, Creative's customer sevice is really good and the players are much more feature rich.

And unless you plan to switch to Linux or Mac its hard to say: "This is the last Microsoft product I will buy".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.