Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Don't be too hasty to remove your I.E browser

Apparently, if you want to continue getting security updates from micro$$, you will need the I.E browser.

All about it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Don't be too hasty to remove your I.E browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Don't be too hasty to remove your I.E browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Don't be too hasty to remove your I.E browser

In reply to: Don't be too hasty to remove your I.E browser

You know, if you don't use Windows in the first place, that option is moot.... LOL

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's a good point NorthWolf - Linux for a start :)

In reply to: Re: Don't be too hasty to remove your I.E browser

Collapse -

That's true. And if you do use Windows but don't use IE or Outlook your chancea of needing those updates is low.

I would not remove IE, but I sure as hell don't use it.

Collapse -
Firefox 1.1

Been using it and impressed with it. Several drawbacks though.

No quick way to collapse the toolbar, nav bar, like in IE, or even the more cumbersome approach used in Netscape 7.

A minor irritant is the right clk for "New Window" or "New Tab" is reversed of what's in Netscape 7.

Tabs are nice, no popups are a relief.

It still has two problems that irritated me also in Netscape 7.

(1) The clk for opening Bookmarks has too long a delay, and also seems
to occur sometimes when trying to open Tools.

(2) Problems hilighting just part of a URL in the location bar
for cut/copy/paste purposes. There are times that would be convenient.

Collapse -
Re: Firefox

In reply to: Firefox 1.1

I use Firefox .9 on my Mac at work and love it. I see what you mean about the toolbars though in OS X you can disappear all toolbars with a click of a button.

Not experiencing the other problems you mention but maybe a difference in the OSes. I am a little annoyed that you can't set a default page for a new tab to open in but perhaps that's fixed with later versions.

For anyone using any Mozilla browsers I recommend downloading and installing AdBlock:
http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html
It's great for getting rid of banner ads and those annoying Flash animations that litter the web.

I can use the same filter list on both my Mac Firefox and Win XP Mozilla. Once you get used to clean webpages you'll never want to look at the ad clutter served up on other browsers again.

Collapse -
Ah, the other big gripe.

In reply to: Re: Firefox

I forgot this one last night, but ran into it again shortly afterwards. "Send Page" doesn't exist in Firefox. You can send a link to the page, but I prefer to have the whole page go on the send so I retain a copy of it in my SENT folder. They definitely need to add that capability into it.

Collapse -
hmmm...

In reply to: Ah, the other big gripe.

Im running Firefox 0.9.2. I can 'send page', and I can also copy a partial URL.

Wonder if the version of Firefox makes a difference? Or maybe the OS?

Collapse -
Re: Screen captures

In reply to: Screen captures

I have dont have "Send Page" for the Google site, but I do have it for a site like this. Odd.

Collapse -
Re: Screen captures

In reply to: Re: Screen captures

I don't get "Send Page" as an option on Firefox with any site, even this one. Firefox has the same annoying problem Netscape 7 does on the Menu Bar. You go to a button there and it will hang for a few seconds before opening the button, especially worst on Bookmarks. I wish they'd get that one fixed. Here's my version;

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10

Collapse -
Your PC has a problem, James

In reply to: Re: Screen captures

Collapse -
Re: hmmm...

In reply to: hmmm...

Just got updated to FF 1 on my Mac. It has Send Link; 0.9 did not

Having trouble getting Password Manager to work though. Hope it's not broken.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Password Manager? Whats that?

In reply to: Re: hmmm...

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Password Manager? Whats that?

In reply to: (NT) Password Manager? Whats that?

That's the thing that controls the popup "Do you want to save this password?" dialog so you don't have to type your passwords over and over.

It's under Tools in Windows Mozilla. In the Mac Firefox it's in Preferences. Not sure about the Windows FF version. Basically it lets you see what user names you have stored and allows you to delete older ones that you don't want. The FF version has the option to let you see the passwords themselves.

Doesn't allow a whole lot of "managing".

Fixed it in mine I THINK.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tools>Options>Privacy in Windows FF

In reply to: Re: (NT) Password Manager? Whats that?

Collapse -
Not a big gripe....

In reply to: Ah, the other big gripe.

but since there is talk here about Firefox, I just installed it yesterday on my WinXP SP2. Have had Opera for some time, but mainly been using IE6.

Firefox transferred my 100's ..err..1000's of Favorites (Bookmarks) from IE, can arrange in alfa order, but can't seem to right click & move around to specific locations like from the near bottom to the top of the list like I can with IE. Also can't seem to right click and rename an entry like in IE.

Seem to also have to make an extra click with the Firefox Bookmarks.

Oh well, can't have everything, and it may be my imagination, but action seems a little faster with Firefox.

BTW, is there a speller for use with Firefox like the ieSpell for IE?

Collapse -
Found a Spell Checker for

In reply to: Not a big gripe....

the new FireFox 1.0 browser I just installed. It works good with a new Icon to use in the toolbar or when composing in these forums just right click to bring it up:

http://www.exchangecode.com/spellbound/

Collapse -
Re: Not a big gripe....

In reply to: Not a big gripe....

John, you can move the bookmarks anywhere you want. LEFTclick on any bookmark, holding down the button, move the bookmark anywhere you want, a few space up, down or into a folder.

A dark line will appear between bookmarks to show where it will be placed when you let go or if you choose a folder it will darken to show that's the folder in which it will be placed.

A great little spell checker is part of Notespad. It's small, free and feature rich. You can keep it in the quick launch bar and use it to compose and spell check all in one.

http://www.dgl.com/dglinfo/1996/dg960910.html

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Not a big gripe....

Well, that is exactly how I do it with Bookmarks in IE, however it is a little different in Firefox. Perhaps if I had started out using Mozilla et al with bookmarks it would have organized much better. As it is transferring my large amount of IE 'favorites' over to firefox bookmarks scattered them into different areas.

Many of my favorites transferred to the Firefox Bookmarks Manager, which can be arranged in different ways. I have them in alph order but CANNOT left click..hold down..and arrange a few special ones in a group at the top like I could in IE. Now the other areas of Bookmark in Firefox like "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" etc... I cannot arrange in alpha order but use the left click...hold down...and move around. Strange.

Also wish there was a feature to rename a title after it has been put in bookmarks like in IE.

Thanks for the info on the NotePad spell checker. I'm going to try it on NotePad/WordPad. I like the Spellbound checker designed for Firefox which is like the IEspeller having a 'abc' spell Icon in the top tool bar and able to check spelling while typing in the forum reply box without using notepad/wordpad. It also has the 'abc' Icon for use when you right click on the mouse.

Collapse -

Also wish there was a feature to rename a title after it has been put in bookmarks like in IE.

Go to Bookmarks, clk on Manage Bookmarks, then find the one you want changed, right clk on it, choose Properties, and change the name.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, by golly that works.

Collapse -
Just an idea John - you may be interested

I installed Mozilla the other day and used import to get the favourites in, which were stored on a separate text file. Export your bookmarks from I.E. , use textpad to sort them, copy and paste your special ones to the top of the text file, then import the file to mozilla. Think you go to file - imports - favourites, then you get the chance to specify a file.
Hope it works ok
Steve

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry John - it's an htm file which you export and impo

In reply to: Just an idea John - you may be interested

Collapse -
Re: Just an idea John - you may be interested

In reply to: Just an idea John - you may be interested

Thanks Steve for the info. I went ahead and just followed the instructions from Firefox on transferring my favorites from IE. I believe exporting using your method was a way I did transporting bookmarks a few years ago when I was transferring from and between three computers and 3 operating system, and it was effective.

Well, anyway I like the Mozilla Firefox enough to get used to strange (to me only) bookmark system I current have and really can't make it a gripe.

Happy
JR

Collapse -
Ok - No problem - Glad you are happy with firefox

In reply to: Re: Just an idea John - you may be interested

I think the I.E browser has become very sluggish, probably to do with all the security mods, at a guess.
Cheers

Collapse -
Well, the Spellbound checker is now a GRIPE...

Collapse -

you can still get updates for winxp without Ie, by going into help and support. they have an update link.

Collapse -

Hi, Ed.

I don't use IE by preference, but there are too many sites that don't work and play well with other browsers -- the TV Guide site, frinstance...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -

I tried to check out that site, but I coudnt register without lying to them about my provider. Guess Ill do that... Plain

Collapse -

I don't think one CAN remove IE can they? Used to be Windows wouldn't work without IE, did Bill fix that? Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!