Computer Help forum

General discussion

Domain Controller is Down

I get this error when I attempt to log into a network account:
"Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance."

I can only log in using the local admin account. Its not letting me sign on using a network logon. I know that the accounts are working, so I assume there is an issue with the domain controller.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Domain Controller is Down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Domain Controller is Down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Time for the IT staff to get to it.

In reply to: Domain Controller is Down

They'll check the ethernet out or re-image the machine if they think it needs it. Then again I'm running into companies that have ejected the IT staff and they end up begging for help.
Bob

Collapse -
domain

when you login with your local admin account are you able to ping the DC? Also, check the IP settings to make sure they are correct. Are you using DHCP or are you static? If you are able to ping the DC adn IP settings are correct, is the computer name in Active directory? Also if the computer name is in active directory, is it disabled? If you check all these things and you are still having issues, drop the computer from the domain, rename it and create the new name in Active Directory and then add the computer back to the Domain. Somewhere along the line of following these steps, you should get the computer back inline. If other computers are able to connect to the domain then it is definitly an issue with this computer name or a setting on this computer.

Collapse -
For the archives: DNS as a possible cause

Another possibility is that this is a DNS issue: here's the scenario.

Let's suppose you have configured both a primary and secondary DNS server for your computer's network adapter. The primary DNS server is the DC, and the secondary is some other machine, possibly a router or similar appliance on the LAN. As such, the secondary DNS server probably has no idea of the existence or location of the DC, but it may actually respond more quickly to a DNS query ... and, as a result, you will get the above-mentioned error.

If this is the case, remove the secondary DNS entry from the network adapter's TCP/IP properties.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.