HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Doing a DOS substitute with Vista

by OldOldRelayer / July 21, 2009 12:32 AM PDT

Over the weekend I bought a HP a6537c, which didn't land up even working, will be taking it back tomorrow. It has Vista Home Premium, whatever that means, although it is 64 so I did like that it wouldn't be any problem addressing 4GB and beyond. I obviously us the computer for other things but if I didn't have this little side job I probably could live without a computer completely, if I had to. Well, that is kind of a lie, because I do have a recording card that I love, which poses another issue PCI slots now a days are hard to find, my only redemption was it had a modem that was PCI, and I would trash that and use the one and only PCI slot. But that is not the purpose of this post.

Is there a way in Vista to emulate the DOS substitute command. My client has a network drive and I don't, so when I test the program I use a DOS window and enter subst f: c:\. This acts in a global way not just as an emulator and reassigns all calls that would go to the F: drive to C:. I am presently working with Windows 2000 which I like quite a lot but would like to address more memory and I think the upper limit is 3GB, or at least from what I understand it displays 3GB. I am not sure what it gets me if I get new equipment and still use Windows 2000, probably not much.

Thanks for you help,
Barry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Doing a DOS substitute with Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Doing a DOS substitute with Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, did you try it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 1:27 AM PDT

C:\>subst k: c:\

C:\>subst
K:\: => C:\

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by OldOldRelayer / July 21, 2009 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, did you try it?

Actually I haven't tried anything, I don't have a working Vista computer to try it on yet, that is kind of the point, I don't want to buy it if it won't work. I don't even know where to try those commands you posted. Maybe I am mistaken, I didn't think there was a DOS window like some of the earlier version, as my Windows 2000.

Thanks,
Barry

Collapse -
I did try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

And if you research your question it appears to be documented. Looks like you have your answer. Good luck and better yet, does this work on Windows 7?

Collapse -
(NT) (Answer: Yes, it does.)
by John.Wilkinson / July 21, 2009 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I did try it.
Collapse -
(NT) C:oolness.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 4:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Standard command line...
by John.Wilkinson / July 21, 2009 1:59 AM PDT

Just press Windows + R and enter cmd to open the command line. DOS ceased to exist with the Windows 9x line, but the command line lives on, and the basic commands remain largely the same.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks Johh
by OldOldRelayer / July 21, 2009 2:16 AM PDT

I don't have Vista to try it and don't know what Window +R is, I suspect it would be obvious if I had Vista in front of me. If you have it, would you consider testing it for me? What would need to be done, is do the subst and then run a program in windows to see if it accessed the correct drive. I could write a simple program that did nothing more than opened and closed a file on a none existent drive on your system that was redirected to your C: drive. If anyone is game, let me know.

Thanks,
Barry

Collapse -
Keyboard shortcuts...
by John.Wilkinson / July 21, 2009 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Johh
Windows + R is just a keyboard shortcut...press both keys at the same time. It has been standard since Windows 95 to open the Run dialog box. cmd then tells Windows to open (run) the command prompt.

-> Yes, that specific command (subst f: c:\) works under Windows Vista using the above standard procedure.

Hope this helps,
John
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.