Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Doggy seat belts?

Santa Fe Considers Doggie Seat Belt Law

I'm a little torn on this, but given the fury over cell phone use in cars, I believe that consistency requires pets be restrained in vehicles. I don't know how many times I've seen folks "arguing" with pets for the driver seat and attention! Seeing dogs free in the bed of a pickup also always scares me. I wonder if there are any stats on how often dogs get injured or killed from such.

Evie Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Doggy seat belts?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Doggy seat belts?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't know about his one.

In reply to: Doggy seat belts?

If there are existing laws on the books that protect pets from negligence then I think those laws should be applied and enforced. I'm against creating new laws if existing laws could be used. Our society has a habit of creating new laws for many things when there are often sufficient laws already written.

Collapse -
I agree about the more laws thing ...

In reply to: I don't know about his one.

... but as important as over-legislating being reigned in is some consistency in laws that exist. Pets should be restrained in the same manner as kids IMO.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re:Doggy seat belts?

In reply to: Doggy seat belts?

Hi, Evie,

At the risk of being considered a pet pamperer, I have a dog seat/restraint system for my dog. Although he is a 30 pounder, he has short legs, so can't see much out of the window.

I ordered it on-line. It is a platform om which he can sit or lie down, and he wears a halter that came with it that is well padded. There is a belt system to which the halter fastens. Of course, the platform attached to a people seat belt.

When I had the huskies, I had an attachment that went from the seat belt to their halters. Anybody that would try to drive with two loose huskies has a warped sense of adventure/

In the case of sudden stops. my dogs could become missles if not restrained. And I don't like seeing dogs with their heads stuck out of a window (as fun as it may be) , as there is a danger to their eyes from debris.

I do know of dogs that sit nicely, but they could still become missles.

My state considered a law against dogs riding in the bed of pick-up trucks without being restrained. However, this went no where.

May as well confess that my dog has 2 Land's End Squall jackets. They are, however, for me. He doesn't mind snow or rain, but when his fur gets wet it tangles badly, so it makes life easier for me to keep him as dry as possible.

I don't know about having a law, either. We have a law for people, but too many don't comply. We recently lost 6 teenagers in 2 separate cratches. The 7th was the only one tro survive - and he was wearing a seat belt.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re:Re:Doggy seat belts?

In reply to: Re:Doggy seat belts?

You really do pamper them huh Ange? Happy

My biggest problem with seatbelt laws is that they tend to be more designed for revenue generation than actual safety concerns. If an adult knows the facts and choses not to buckle up, so be it.

Children & pets should be restrained IMO. Neither can determine for themself the danger level of not doing so, and both can become serious distractions if they "run loose" in a vehicle.

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.