The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Does US governmetn owe royalties for songs played at Gitmo?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does US governmetn owe royalties for songs played at Gitmo?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does US governmetn owe royalties for songs played at Gitmo?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll write no.

In reply to: Does US governmetn owe royalties for songs played at Gitmo?

It's not US soil and this and other reasons why US law seems to not apply there. Find out what country has jurisdiction...

Collapse -
Military base not US jurisdiction????

In reply to: I'll write no.

You better believe it's US soil. You think the U.S. Army is going to follow Cuban laws on its military base? The difference is it's U.S. *military* law that applies, and pondering how laws pertaining to song royalties are to be applied in this context seems pretty absurd compared to say, ignoring the Geneva Convention, which is why I'd like to hear a mollyrant on this one.

Collapse -
Which is why it's there.

In reply to: Military base not US jurisdiction????

Gitmo is one strange place. No need for me to state that...

Collapse -
Odd limitations tho

In reply to: Military base not US jurisdiction????

Not sure how it impacts the current issue, but while abses are "US soil" they still are limited in various ways. The big one that surprised me is that a child born (the real example was someone born on Okinawa) can never be President because not born in the US! Was at the base hospital and everything. Quite a twist for the troops--as a consequence of your serving your country, we're going to limit your children as to how far they can go in serving your country.

Collapse -
John McCain, btw

In reply to: Odd limitations tho

Was not born in the United States, he was born on a Navy base in the Panama Canal Zone.

Collapse -
however

In reply to: John McCain, btw

Panama was a US Territory at the time of his birth (remained US Territory until the late '70s). There have been questions as to whether McCain could be President, but I don't think there have been serious challenges.

Collapse -
WOW, I did not know that

In reply to: however

So,
A) WasI given wrong info about Okinawa? Or
B) Was the status of Panama different enough to make the point much muddier? Or
C) Is McCain's family and status such that people just aren't willing to press the issue?

Whaddaya think?

Collapse -
Never made sense to me...

In reply to: John McCain, btw

Why an immigrate country would require a president to not be an immigrate.

Collapse -
No they don't need to pay

In reply to: I'll write no.

No, the government isn't using the song for profit. If they had to pay royalties for playing a song, then so would anybody who played the songs in a way that another person could hear it. As far as geneva convention law, it doesn't apply to combatants not wearing a uniform. So instead of jumping on the hate the government bandwagon, read geneva law instead.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.