TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Does upconversion DVD...

by xrayeyes1502 / July 27, 2007 1:40 PM PDT

really promice what it states it does? I currently have a "normal" DVD player hooked up to a Panny TH-42PX77U 720p. The picture looks fine- nothing to brag about. I can live with it. But how well will an upconverting DVD player look? What will be the difference? Also what player would anyone reading this post recommend?

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does upconversion DVD...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does upconversion DVD...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe better, maybe worse
by HTHMAN / July 28, 2007 3:54 AM PDT

What an upconverting DVD player does is scales a DVD to 720p, 1080i or 1080p. Your TV also does the same thing. If you use an upconverter, the TV does not have to scale it to the native screen resolution.

Whether it looks better or not depends on which unit has the better scaler. If the scaler in the DVD player is better, it will look better. If the scaler in the TV is better, it may look worse. Most people report little or no improvement.

I would wait for the High Def DVD players to come down in price and buy one of them.

Collapse -
Very good advice HTHMAN
by jostenmeat / July 28, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

"I would wait for the High Def DVD players to come down in price and buy one of them".

Funai built BluRay players sold as Magnavox should be around the corner, coming in at $300 or less. Some think $200 by Christmas.

Collapse -
And one more question...
by eajarosz / July 28, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

Hi there, I also have a DVD upcomversion "worthiness" question. I just bought an HDTV-LCD (Samsung LN-T4661F). After doing some reading on the CNet site, I think I'm understanding that some HDTVs will upconvert from DVD players automatically. How can I find out if mine will? Does anyone know? The bottom line is I'm trying to see if it's worth it to buy a DVD that upconverts. FYI - I'm planning to buy a DVD Player/Burner in case that matters.

Collapse -
TVs and DVD players
by HTHMAN / July 28, 2007 5:15 AM PDT

All your new digital TVs will both de-interlace and upconvert to the native resolution of the screen.

The answer still remains...which does it better??

In theory, a non-progressive scan DVD player may actually give the best picure if the scaler and de-interlacer in the TV are excellent.

Collapse -
Mine looks better. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 29, 2007 3:58 AM PDT

Samsung upconverter feeding my Sony 55" SXRD via HDMI. There is a definate improvement. Colors are brighter, picture is sharper.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?