Computer Help forum

General discussion

Does this sound like my PSU is going bad?

by TheAntiEggroll / July 16, 2010 2:18 AM PDT

Ill give as much information as I can. I have a Dell 530 Desktop Quad core with 2 extra gigs of ram I added by myself as well as an 8800 GT I added.

I turned it off for the first time in a good week or 2 and when I tried to turn it back on it would try and the fans would jerk and continue to do so but it would never get full power.

I took out 2 of the ram sticks, turned it back on an it worked fine. Then I put both back in turned it on and it worked fine again. Well after 2 days I shut it off again and had the same problem when I attempted to turn it on.

Again after I took 2 of the sticks out it turned on, this time though it would not turn on with either or both of the sticks in. I tried every combination possible but the only way I could get it to turn is with both ram sticks out.

PS this computers obviously a few years old and had everything "aftermarket" since the day I got it and ran flawlessly since that time until now.

Thanks in advance for help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does this sound like my PSU is going bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does this sound like my PSU is going bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
maybe is the PSU
by DJRemix666 / July 16, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

maybe is the PSU, but your PSU is still good its just probly because you dont have enough Watts to power all of the components when you add your two other sticks of ram. what is your PSW wattage ?

Collapse -
PSU
by DJRemix666 / July 16, 2010 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: maybe is the PSU

i mean PSU sorry lol

Collapse -
by TheAntiEggroll / July 16, 2010 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: maybe is the PSU

Its only 350 watts but its been running without issue with this same exact setup for 2 years.

Collapse -
by DJRemix666 / July 16, 2010 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

ok can you describe more about what happens with the psu fans and cpu fan and can you remove the panel and turn your computer on for 30 seconds and turn it off and ground yourself and touch the components like rams and video card and PSU if its heating and what is happening on the screen is it black when its happens ?

Collapse -
CNet
by TheAntiEggroll / July 16, 2010 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

The fans click on and off over and over again but the computer never actually turns on. The screen never comes on while this is happening

Collapse -
ok
by DJRemix666 / July 16, 2010 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: CNet

and when you remove the rams your added in its work fine ?

Collapse -
if it is
by DJRemix666 / July 16, 2010 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: CNet

if its working fine when you remove the 2 sticks of rams you added then your 2 sticks of rams are dead and to explain why i asked you for the wattage of your psu its because sometimes when your add components in your computer 350W is not enough but if your computer was running 2 years with the 2 sticks of rams you added and the video card you added and now its not working but only when you remove the 2 sticks of ram then its the rams

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?