Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Does this mean the RIAA had finded me?

www.grokster.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does this mean the RIAA had finded me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does this mean the RIAA had finded me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) get a lawyer

In reply to: Does this mean the RIAA had finded me?

Collapse -
Grokster in file share scare

Poacher to game keeper

By Nick Farrell: Monday 02 January 2006, 15:36

IN A BIT OF a daft anti-piracy stunt, the former file sharing outfit Grokster has been posting visitors IP addresses on its homepage.

Visitors to grokster.com are shown a snap shot of their IP address and are warned that the address has been recorded and their visit to the site was not anonymous. The move is no doubt to prove to the music and movie business, in which Grokster hopes to become a mover and a shaker, that the outfit is serious about piracy.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28660

Collapse -
I always wondered what my IP address is. That's a very

In reply to: Grokster in file share scare

useful service.

Collapse -
IP address

In reply to: I always wondered what my IP address is. That's a very

You can find that by running winipcfg in a Run box (command line) from Window start button, or you can open a DOS window and type in ipconfig and hit Enter key.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) come on

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Come on will they find me?

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: (NT) Come on will they find me?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What is it

In reply to: Response

Collapse -
What is it.?

In reply to: (NT) What is it

It should show your IP address and should show the location of where you (or your Internet Service Provider) are/is located.

Collapse -
it depends how hot they are to find you

In reply to: (NT) Come on will they find me?

and what you're doing while online (p2p etc)

your IP number will usually change everytime you log on, and even then, it may be your internet service provider whos' number shows up, if you download the occasional mp3 or movie then 99.9% of the time you can sleep without worrying about men in black coats dragging you off into a cold wet night...

but!.... spend 24/7/365 on p2p and your *** may be grass....

and you'll also discover that your internet service provider will be letting the authorities know who you are and where you live Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Does bellsouth gives out information?

In reply to: it depends how hot they are to find you

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: (NT) Does bellsouth gives out information?

Don't phone them up and ask, whatever you do.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why???

In reply to: Response

Collapse -
Simple...

In reply to: (NT) Why???

ISPs frown upon P2P not only because of the legal issues but also the strain it puts on their network. (P2P usage takes up more bandwidth than average websurfing.) Thus, they won't be happy with you. In addition, if you call and ask they'll know you're using P2P.

As to whether or not they give out your information, the answer is yes and no. They won't just hand out your personal information to anyone, but if the RIAA, MPAA, log your IP address while you're doing something illegal, they can get a warrent that demands your ISP relinquish the information so that they can sue you. Your ISP would then have no choice but to comply. You can research recent cases by checking out Yahoo News or the like and doing a quick search.

Basically:
1.) DO NOT use P2P services, period, for legal and security reasons.

2.) If you are currently performing illegal activities, STOP.

3.) If you performed illegal activities, PRAY your name isn't on the next list of lawsuits. (It's at 16,000 names and counting.)

4.) If you IP address was logged, they know what you did, have records of it, and thUS have a case. Wiping your hard drive is a good idea to remove the pirated materials and get rid of any malware that came with it, but you'll still be nailed to the wall based on what they already have! Thus, it's time to go back to #3. You should have thought of the consequences first, and if you do get a second chance, don't waste it by doing stupid illegal things again!

John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So whats the point of having those programs?

In reply to: Simple...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Supposedly to share non-copyrighted files?

In reply to: (NT) So whats the point of having those programs?

Collapse -
Exactly...

In reply to: (NT) Supposedly to share non-copyrighted files?

P2P networks began as a way for users to share their personal works with others, but it quickly became a breeding ground for piracy and other illegal activities. (At this point some estimate as much as 98% of files on P2P networks is pirated, though most would agree it's over 90%.) For more information I'd suggest clicking here and reading the previous thread on the topic.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Some may have missed this, but

In reply to: Exactly...

Collapse -
how do i tell you this gently.....

In reply to: (NT) Does bellsouth gives out information?

bell north/south/east and west will break a leg racing to give them (the black coats) any and all information they want.....

it's very very simple...

they say "give us what we want or we close you down for "X" days/weeks/months to give us time to check your records"

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes they after me?

In reply to: how do i tell you this gently.....

Collapse -
*sigh*

In reply to: (NT) Yes they after me?

if it'll help you, yes, they probably have......

and between you me and the doorpost, you need help...

goodbye.....

Collapse -
Yes, and your ONLY recourse...

In reply to: (NT) Yes they after me?

is to IMMEDIATELY download the following ISO, burn it to CD, then boot the CD--this will delete the pirated files and the ones you are sharing.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dban/dban-1.0.6_i386.iso?download

(Can read about it here - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61951 )

Then Unplug Monitor and All Cords connected to the computer and box it all up and store in the basement, garage, attic, or a hole in the back yard.

After a few months you can discontinue your ISP payments with a nice record of not having pirated anything and RIAA might take that into consideration although a potential $10,000 fine per violation might tempt them to sue anyway.

SPA2STOAPC!

Collapse -
If you're this worried about it,

Then quit doing what you're apparently doing, and sleep well at night, instead.

Sheesh.

--Cindi

Collapse -
YES!!! And to twist the immortal words of Walt Kelly

hizself .........

They (RIAA) have founded the enemy, and it is YOU!

Grin

http://www.igopogo.com/we_have_met.htm

P.S. I have to agree with Cindi on this one. If you are that worried/concerned about the possible negative consequences of your behavior, then substitute a bit of common sense into your time and energy and just don't do it.

Sometimes the answer is right there in front of you (or maybe right there inside of you when dealing with an issue of ethics/morality/legality).

The RIAA might not ever "finded" you; but ...... well, whatever. I think you get the picture Happy

Collapse -
Just to be sure...

In reply to: YES!!! And to twist the immortal words of Walt Kelly

He should reformat his hard drive.

Collapse -
roflol......

In reply to: Just to be sure...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) a given ..... like, [u]now[/u], Dude :)

In reply to: Just to be sure...

Collapse -
What if im going to rformat my hardrive

In reply to: (NT) a given ..... like, [u]now[/u], Dude :)

what are the types of files going to be delete?

Collapse -
Here's the first thing you MUST do

In reply to: What if im going to rformat my hardrive

tell your parents what is going on

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.