Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

Question

Does the Zune software tie you to a specific computer?

by tacevac / June 10, 2011 7:00 AM PDT

Specifically, is it similar to the iPod that you have to sync to a specific iTunes on a specific computer for any music/video downloads or can the Zune move from computer to computer for loading music onto it? I have a very large digital music collection on an external hard drive and would like to be able to easily add and remove music from the player and the iPod is not user friendly in that manner. My original iTunes that I loaded my music from no longer exists and any other iTunes wants to completely wipe my iPod clean and start over again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does the Zune software tie you to a specific computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does the Zune software tie you to a specific computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 7:09 AM PDT

I found that to be untrue with my pod. However I do not have any DRM restricted content.

As to the Zune, my bet is that it's same story.

As to stuff on the pod you need back, I can only guess you never heard or used iRip?
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Not a clarification but an additional complaint about iPod
by ddeduck / June 26, 2011 10:51 AM PDT

I have the same problem. I copied all my music to a Seagate drive before getting rid of my old computer. Now all my music is on iTunes and there is no problem there. The problem is because I can't sync my iPod to retain all the organization of playlists and playlist folders I had. I am very upset and am looking for an iPod alternative. I called Apple tech support and all they said was that a lot of people have problems with this. The rep was nice but the product is such a closed system. The only reason I bought an iPod was because of the organizational capabilities. Sad

Collapse -
What I discover most of the time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2011 11:04 AM PDT

Is that folk copy their stuff out but use a method or procedure they think will work. Later, almost a disaster scene and bad feelings towards all makers about such systems.

There is only a few exits here, all are marked with different signage. Some are unacceptable because you have to know more than you wanted to know, others are plastered with company logos.

So far no nirvana.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Restoring an iPod from a backup including playlists
by ddeduck / June 26, 2011 6:48 PM PDT

It is possible to move the iPod music from one computer to another. I posted that I had a similar complaint but found answers on Apple's Support Forums afterwards. I hope the links will work and help anyone else with a similar problem. I was able to copy the iTunes music from the Seagate backup into iTunes on the new computer by using the import function in iTunes. Then I decided to check the contents of the iPod by following these instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/message/797432?messageID=797432. The title of that thread is Computer Crashed. There was a difference of 75 files. Then I discovered this post to restore playlists: https://discussions.apple.com/message/13325171#13325171. The title of that thread is Restore Playlist. I got the library necessary to restore the playlists from the Seagate backup also. I followed the directions and decided to load both copies of the songs and eliminate the duplicates to be able to have the 75 songs that were on the iPod and not on the backup. All my playlists are there now and the iPod is synching to the new computer. And yes, I tried iRip first and it doesn't work with the latest version of iTunes. I am happy again with the iPod. However, some of the answers to similar questions on the support forums just told the person asking that there was no way to solve this problem. Just to advise, I was trying to do all this on a brand new computer running Windows 7. My old computer was 8 years old and was running XP Pro. I have an iPod classic. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?