HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Does the HP pavillion a1730n meet my needs?

by esand / March 19, 2007 4:42 AM PDT

I want to buy a computer that I can use for gaming, photos, internet...I am considering an HP pavillion a1730n:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4600+
2.4GHZ, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache
2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM
320GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics with 128MB dedicated graphics memory
Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium

I understand the video card would probaly need to be upgraded and have heard this could mean upgrading the power supply too, I would appreciate any comments about using this system for gaming.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does the HP pavillion a1730n meet my needs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does the HP pavillion a1730n meet my needs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) That display card is not a gamer's choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 4:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) it'll be an ok gamer with a 7600gt /x1950gt or better card
by ramarc / March 19, 2007 6:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Great choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 6:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes
by jbain / March 21, 2007 2:20 PM PDT

I got a 7640 model with the same specs and x2-5000. Works great. The only thing I will do eventually is put in a $100 video card with like the one of the 7600 nvidia's.

Collapse -
You'll defenitely need a new PSU...
by h3ll_sh3ep / January 4, 2008 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

ive read its only a tiny 300w but im not absolutely certain... anyways its not over 400w for sure

Collapse -
In nine months we hope they come back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2008 9:18 AM PST

Watch those posting dates.

Collapse -
Don't do it.
by anotherHPstinks / February 25, 2008 9:28 AM PST

I bought an HP a1730n just over a year ago. It was great at first. ONE day after the one year warranty expired, it completely crashed. The hard drive and motherboard had to be replaced. HP pre-loads and locks down the operating system to prevent theft or something, so the recovery disks made with the original don't work on the new hard drive. They sent me replacement disks at my cost and those didn't work either. After several frustrating calls to HP, they assured me they would send the correct disks (overnight delivery which was going to take 3 days - figure that one out!). I never did receive those disks. So, I marched right back to where I bought it, and after almost 5 hours (yes, five hours) of their tech service talking to many HP techs, HP couldn't figure out why the operating system wouldn't load. HP never even offered to reimburse me for the disks that didn't work and told me that "customer compensation" is not covered under the warranty (which had expired by one day). I sent a certified, return receipt letter to the President, who simply handed it off to a customer service rep that was empowered to do nothing more than apologize.
DO NOT BUY AN HP PRODUCT. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE AFTER-THE-SALE SERVICING AND DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.