Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Does the DVD Maker included with Vista...

by Travis2k7 / September 9, 2007 8:47 AM PDT

actually work?

I get to about 15% and get errors using both R and RW disks. The computer just arrived yesterday and I put together a nice presentation of my recent vacation only to discover that I can't burn it to DVD on my new computer...

(My apologies if this is in the wrong forum)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does the DVD Maker included with Vista...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does the DVD Maker included with Vista...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a pair of Vista machines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 9:28 AM PDT

Both seem fine. Make the call and ask "what next?"

Or if you got it from a store, just go back and return it as defective.

Bob

Collapse -
I thought it might be defective...
by Travis2k7 / September 9, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

but now I am not sure.

I downloaded Ashampoo Burning Suite based on the good Cnet reviews. It also failed when trying to burn a video DVD. It did however burn a data DVD/CD and music CD without any problems.

I am wondering if it is some kind of video compatibility issue or missing codecs... I wouldn't think so being a new computer but I'm open to suggestions. I googled "Windows DVD Maker errors" and found a lot of threads about similar issues.

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B appears to be the model. I'm sure it's an offbrand but that's what I get for buying a Dell and not building it myself.

Collapse -
Video work can be tricky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 12:41 PM PDT

For that I can make it fail, but I know why so I didn't consider that a failure.

Bob

Collapse -
Problem solved.
by Travis2k7 / September 12, 2007 12:41 PM PDT

I don't know why I didn't think of this before... Tech support suggested I try MPEG2 format.

I burned a test DVD with a handful of pictures and movies and it worked great with Windows DVD Maker. I can't explain why it didn't like WMV...

Now I just have to go back and convert all my MOV videos from my camera over to MPEG2. It's a fast process with this new PC.

Thanks again for the input.

Collapse -
DVD maker in Vista
by guatanabe / September 15, 2007 4:34 AM PDT

You must remember that if what you are trying to burn has a copywright, then you cant burn it.

Collapse -
I wasn't trying to burn anything....
by Travis2k7 / September 15, 2007 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD maker in Vista

that was copyrighted.

I went on a recent vacation and had a ton of videos in MOV format. I converted them to WMV and for whatever reason I was unable to burn them using Windows DVD Maker or Nero and another program.

I converted them to MPEG2 and it worked great so I guess that's the format that I will be using for home video DVD's.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.