The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Does Steve Jobs need to start distancing himself from Apple?

Has he tied himself so closely to the company that shareholders and consumers believe that Apple would die without him?

I think it's time to start grooming a replacement or, if he ever gets hit by a bus, Apple stock will plummet to 40 cents a share.

Or is Jobs REALLY that important? He's important, no doubt, but...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does Steve Jobs need to start distancing himself from Apple?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does Steve Jobs need to start distancing himself from Apple?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Every Major Corporation Has a Change in Control Plan

It would be foolish for Jobs to ignore this fact...

Collapse -
With no rewrite...

In reply to: Does Steve Jobs need to start distancing himself from Apple?

If you're a share holder you want to know his health.
If you've been watching as closely as a shareholder you know his involvement in "everything" Apple.

-> I sold my shares earlier this year and can't buy back in given the situation today.
Bob

Collapse -
buy buy buy

In reply to: With no rewrite...

A great time to buy Apple would be right after Job leaves/dies and it tanks. You know over time they'll rebound with the iShoe or something.

Collapse -
probabaly...he ain't gonna die before he leaves...

In reply to: buy buy buy

I totally understand where you're coming from, but he probabaly ain't gonna die before he leaves... but I think you're right about buying if Apple hits the skids after a departure announcement or coming up on his last days with Apple.

You know...probably the next best thing he could do is just say he's quitting as CEO and stepping back into an advisory role - similar to Gates I think. That seemed to quell a lot of confusion and anxiety.

--S

Collapse -
6/15/2006 No Bill.

In reply to: probabaly...he ain't gonna die before he leaves...

Company founded. 16-Jun-86 0.09
Bill leaves. 16-Jun-2006 21.49
Today 26.11

Somewhere is a nice article tracing the stagnation after June 16, 2006. Or maybe that's when they Zune'd out.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, the court of public opinion says Steve is make/break

Yes, the court of public opinion says Steve is make/break for Apple. The related public, by the way, is growing in population as each new iPod, iPhone, etc. is purchased from Apple. And the court is getting increasingly vocal, varied, and

Ask any business analyst worth their salt - I'd imagine they'd say that Apple can do well without Steve, but it's going to be rough for at least the short-term without him as a mouthpiece/figurehead for Apple.

I think you can argue that this is a monster that Steve and Co. have developed themselves and now they're having a bit of trouble with it. Not that they can't handle it, but it's not pleasant to deal with sometimes.

However...if Steve were to step away a bit *someone* equally impressive, iconic, and creative would need to step up into public view to make sure the perceived relation between CEO of Apple and the customer base remains. I imagine Steve is doing this, if he's smart, behind closed doors at first - but he's gonna have to do start doing it on a public stage...and I recommend he does it soon.

I think there were more "non-Steve" presenters at WWDC this year, yes?

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
They did that once.

Apple did fine for awhile. Now that Steve is back, Apple is further from their hacker roots than ever before. Apple can do fine without Mr. Jobs. They are doing find with him as well. No reason to change the formula until it's needed.

Collapse -
Smashed

In reply to: They did that once.

Weren't they getting killed most of the time he was gone? Then he comes back and they make the iMac and everything turns around. I would argue that Apple hasn't ever had much success without him.

Collapse -
Does Steve Jobs need to start distancing himself from Apple?

Nope not at all he is OK Listen to Sunday's TWIT no 153 John C. Dvorak says he has an idea what is wrong with Steve and he is OK he just can't gain weight after having chemotherapy that what is wrong with him if you listen to that podcast he tells what he believes is what is wrong with Steve.

Collapse -
You know...

He had cancer in 2004. And he said that one of the things that took him through it, was how much he loved working at Apple.
I think this is not someone who is going to retire unless health forces it.

Steve left Apple once before, and the company became directionless. They became arrogant about the quality of their stuff, they didn't bother to keep pushing forward, they just waited until the rest of the industry caught up.
Steve knows that to be successful, Apple can never rest. A replacement CEO will need that same quality.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.