The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Does RIAA really not get it???

by jplewis01 / February 24, 2006 1:05 AM PST

I've been thinking through the implications of RIAA's statement to the DMCA rule makers you commented on earlier this week. While their comments are not new news, where they are making them and what could happen if they do get changes made I think shows that not only do they get it, they get it much better than most of us do.

Face it, RIAA won't win on a direct challenge to existing fair use laws either popular opinion politically or judicially. But if they can get changes to the DMCA rules, thus making their content shifting rules real, it won't matter what the fair use laws are because DMCA will likely overshadow it. Even if the case is not clear it would provide the necessary reason to have the Supreme court review the current situation and decide what is applicable. Given overseas laws it quite possible the shift could be in RIAA's favor not the consumers. Forget this whole notion of RIAA not winning the war. If they win this battle, other campaigns they fight will be much more easily won, and besides if they do win they will be able to sick the FEDs on you for violations because it changes from being a civil matter to a truly criminal matter.

RIAA do get it and they are much more successful at gaining for their cause than consumers are. I think we are about to be blindsided by a change heavily in RIAAs favor and we cannot even see it coming. Wakey Wakey guys!!!

Phil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does RIAA really not get it???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does RIAA really not get it???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boy, I sure hope you're wrong!
by barret55 / February 24, 2006 1:13 AM PST

Next thing you know, we'll be paying to hear music over the radio (oh wait! Isn't that satellite radio?)

Or, as someone else posted in another topic, the RIAA will find a way to monitor our minds, and find a way to charge us when a song gets stuck in our heads.

Next thing you know, they'll find a way to say that speaking, reading, or writing the lyrics of a song is copyright infringement, and then, copyright the entire English language, because every word could theoretically be found in some song that they own.

Please, make it stop!! Happy

-Terry

Collapse -
I really hope I'm wrong too!...
by jplewis01 / February 24, 2006 3:29 AM PST

...Sadly though RIAA have learned very well how to do the whole Politics bit REALLY REALLY well and the conspiricist in me holds that RIAA are far too comfortable right now for them to be on the ropes with their final gasps. Technologies ability to limit what you do and how you do it rapidly catching up with social technology issues (HDCP is one case) and if RIAA can use that to block you from exercising fair use they will, and then _we'll_ all be screwed! Even though fair use rules permit a particular use, Technology won't and deconstructing technology to circumvent it will get you a stay in the big house with Bubba and 300 or 400 of his closest friends.

Phil

Collapse -
They're smart, but they still don't gte it
by acedtect / February 24, 2006 5:52 AM PST

It's a good reality check to point out that the RIAA, MPAA, etc. are masters at politics and hold much more sway than they should. They're smart at getting what they want. I think they don't want what's actually best for them. That's what I mean when I say they don't get it. They don't understand that they could make scads and scads of money by not suing their customers. Right now they're not really winning but making themselves the most successful loser.

Collapse -
I like that saying
by barret55 / February 24, 2006 6:03 AM PST

"most successful loser." I don't think you could have worded it any better Tom.

-Terry

Collapse -
I really hope I'm wrong too...
by jplewis01 / February 24, 2006 3:43 AM PST

However RIAA has learned to play the political game REALLY REALLY well. They are not behaving like an organization on their last legs. Right now protection technology is rapidly catching up with social technology issues I suspect RIAA will keep influencing the demise of fair use use until technology prevents fair use then if you circumvent it under DMCA penalties, you get a 5 year stay in the big house with Bubba and 400 of his closest friends.

Lots of good things came out of the 90's RIAA and the DMCA were NOT 2 of them, we were not awake to the implications then and I don't think we are much better prepared now...

Phil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.