PC Hardware forum

Question

Does powerusage fluctuate ? etc...

Hey everyone,

I'm doing research on power usage by desktop,laptops,... and I got some questions.

Some desktops work with adapters (just as notebooks do) and it got me wondering...is the power stated on the adapter the maximum that the device can consume? I.e. adapter says 200W, does that mean that this device can consume a maximum of 200W ? Also is power usage constant? Logically one would say that a low burden on a device will also lower the power usage but is this in fact true?
And do the answers to the previous questions apply for devices without an adapter?

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does powerusage fluctuate ? etc...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does powerusage fluctuate ? etc...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: adapter

In reply to: Does powerusage fluctuate ? etc...

I'd so some practical research to answer those questions. There are nice inexpensive power meters that show exactly how much Watt a device connected trough it consumes. Most even let you enter the price per kWh, and show how much using it for one hour costs.

Much better than theory.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
It depends

The only "desktop looking" laptop PC is an AIO type that usually has a touch screen, etc.. While these do use an adapter they more a cross between laptop and desktop. More of laptop that never leaves the desk as they share the much of laptop components. Typical std. desktops use a non-adapter setup called a PSU.

To directly answer your ?, wattage use by a PC determines its overall power consumption. The more devices installed and then accessed tells of the wattage used. This in turn will go up/down as demands are gauged. The PSU or power supply will then go up/down to supply that power which is supplied by a "switching power supply" that provides the various voltages and wattage level required. The specs located on the decal/sticker provide the MAX/MIN tolerance level it can provide up to a given time period, it is NOT meant to be a "constant" output but can be addressed should it be needed.

http://www.sparklepower.com/ <---good PSU link

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Nod to a Watt meter.

For about 20 bucks I picked up a P3 Watt meter so over the years I have measured a lot of systems.

1. Never found any system reach the maximum draw on the label.
2. Yes, power draw varies with what the computer is doing.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!