TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Does My New 50" Plasma Need a 50" Stand?

by mattkaulen / March 13, 2007 1:57 AM PDT

Well, actually my Panny is 47 3/5" wide and my TV stand is 48" wide, but I have it in the corner and it sticks out a lot than it has to. Since the plasma's built in stand is like 35" wide can I just get stTV stand that is like 40" wide? It would sit in the corner so much better. Or is this an accident waiting to happen. I also saw that the TV included peices to anchor it to the wall for stability pruposes. Does anyone use these? I have a 14 mos. daughter so I was looking to do this for better peice of mind. And yes I would like to hang it, but with the way the room is set-up, it works better in the corner. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.
-Thanks
Matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does My New 50" Plasma Need a 50" Stand?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does My New 50" Plasma Need a 50" Stand?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm, 40" wide stand versus 48" because it would probably fit
by NM_Bill / March 13, 2007 2:11 AM PDT

more neatly. Being in the corner, less stand depth would help the neatness factor. Yeah, the 47 3/4 Panny sits out a bit from the back. Wall anchors are darned good ideas. Hypothetically, I prefer a wall anchor with small patch later if you decide to change things. Sure, wall mounting is nice design when forever.

Keep your precious toddler well enriched with stimulation to the world & train as you can to avoid a TV stand or throwing toys at the TV. Don't know if you could use a wall anchor in the corner. My family survived four rough house kids without any particular danger to the TV on the basic wire stand of the time. Your concern is, of course, justified.

Collapse -
Decisions, decisions...
by mattkaulen / March 14, 2007 2:11 AM PDT

Is anyone using a TV stand that is smaller than their TV's width? I figure that as long as the stand can take the weight and I anchor it to the wall I should be fine, but I didn't know if I'm missing something.

Collapse -
A trade off between tucking in & overall visual impact
by NM_Bill / March 14, 2007 2:20 AM PDT

Seems to me the tucking into the corner well & the overall look may be in conflict.

There may an awkward sort of feel about a big TV overhanging a tiny stand. Somehow it just seems to be unstable, both from your toddler being able to reach the overhanging corner of the TV & a stand of the same or greater width better anchors the look & seems more "grounded." A quietly serene & substantive secure feel about it. To go more extreme, think of a big object on a tiny pedestal. It just looks unstable.

In the lack of people with experience using some sort of wall anchor for a TV in a corner posting with how to solve it info, it's your judgment.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!