HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

Question

Does mpeg1 stream in a browser on a Mac

by DutchPol / October 29, 2013 1:00 AM PDT

First, I'm a Mac-nitwit but the following has been dropped on my doorstep:
The company where I work has a lot of MPEG1 files and our customers stream these. Part of our customers use Mac-computers and different browsers. The website uses VLC-Player to stream the video. This doesn't work on newer versions of OSX and / or browsers.
What is the alternative? Various sources reported "NONE".
I found that curious so I checked the QuickTime specs and they stated that mpeg1 streaming is possible. In a quick trial it seemed that QuickTime is first downloading the file before playing it, so it's not really streaming.
So my question is: Is there a (short term) alternative to stream mpeg1 on a Mac, preferably on most common browsers. And yes, we are planning to transcode to another format but that takes time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does mpeg1 stream in a browser on a Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does mpeg1 stream in a browser on a Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It might not stream.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 1:12 AM PDT

MPEG1 is a pretty old encoding and to stream (and I'm taking your word it must stream) the video and audio content must all be together inside a small space. If the mpeg1 file is not consecutive and the audio packets are too far apart or segmented it might not "stream." So while it is possible, did you really want to take courses and read books about all this?

And finally, you may have to buckle a little and try Chrome as a short term solution. Your post has good questions but most of it seems to scream why and tell me you are just starting your work in this area. Sorry but I can't condense all that would be needed in this small space except to write it's the wrong encoding for reliable streaming. Too old.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. A link about such
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: It might not stream.
Collapse -
Some explanation
by DutchPol / October 29, 2013 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: It might not stream.

Thanks Bob for your reply,

As to the "Why": More then 10 years ago this format was choosen in combination with the IPV Spectreview Encoder to make a digital browsing copy of Digi-Beta Tapes with a frame accurate reference to the timecode on the tapes. As far as I know, IPV was the only company in those days that could provide for the reference. Making High-Res copies wasn't an option then because of the volume (now 600,000+ clips also in High-Res).
Times have changed but it's still streaming ok on windows machines so I guess the format isn't too old but the mac -software too new Happy
You can imagine that transcoding this volume isn't done in a day and we're looking for a more short-term solution for our mac-users. We'll have a look now at real time transcoding to mp4.
Could you tell me what you mean by "try Chrome"? The Chrome video player? Or Chrome + QuickTime?
Thanks anyway for your time.

Pol

Collapse -
Just Chrome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Some explanation

Chrome has some video players built in.

Sorry but as Apple and other makers deprecate and stop trying to work around the MPEG1/2 streaming issues, you may find them drop that as paying the staff to tweak things isn't worth it anymore.

I know that may upset some but it's well over a decade since streaming encoding became available. Yes, I hear you "it used to work" but as it's costly to implement or carry legacy code over and possibly other issues such as exploitation of the OS/Browser you see deprecation of features.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.