HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Does Molly Wood = Bill O'Riley of tech?

by da_bradler / February 26, 2008 9:41 PM PST

Is it just me or is Molly Wood turning into Bill O'Riley, no matter what the subject or however educated on it she seems she takes just an unrelentingly forceful and winged opinion.

I'm not saying she's a hard line conservative or anything like that I'm talking more of the Pundit to journalism balance. Lately it seems like:

Tom "*information information information*"
Molly "THERE IDIOTS AND DON"T KNOW WHAT THERE DOING!"
Tom "Well Molly you know *information information information* *OPINION*"
Molly "*OPINION OPINION* *MADE UP STATISTIC* *OPINION*"
Tom "I see where your coming from *OPINION* *information* *asks listener for facts*
Molly *inaudible noises*
Jason *toss for a segway*
tom *catch*
Molly *grumble*

On an unrelated note or rather slightly related, how can you say craigs list is going to replace ebay? You guys live in SanFancisco. In the san Francisco bay metro area tehre is over 7 MILLION people. there is only 30 million people in ALL OF CANADA and we don't have a city that can match half your population density. You guys live in the 12th! most populated metro in america.

Not to mention you have over 60 MILLION people in america that live in rural areas, I'm sure craigs list is all the rage for them. There simply is no viable alternative to ebay for anybody but those that live in large metro area.

and how is getting rid of seller feedback hurt ebays consumers? It was put in place to PROTECT consumers from the shady business practices of sellers. *sigh* I know you read the whole story earlier but what are people who are listening to just todays podcast going to think? You offered no information beyond "'some reports of a 13% decline' 'ebay reports no affect in sales'"... I get more information and level handed analysis from reading the comments on digg stories... Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does Molly Wood = Bill O'Riley of tech?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does Molly Wood = Bill O'Riley of tech?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is More a Matter of Personaity
by Anjuan / February 27, 2008 3:16 AM PST

I think that your point is more of a contrast of Tom's usually fact driven analysis versus Molly's often emotional response to certain issues. I would venture to guess that this is more of a personality difference between the two hosts as opposed to Molly being a regular purveyor of baseless personal opinions (a la Bill O'Reilly as you described - which I don't completely agree with, btw).

If you subscribe to Peter Urs Bender's four personality types (Analytical, Amiable, Driver, Expressive), then Tom seems to be Analytical while Molly is Expressive. So, Molly's strengths would tend to be great communication skills, enthusiasm, and imagination, but her weaknesses would include being too talkative, coming on too strong, and being unrealistic. Tom's weaknesses would tend to be a lack of emotion when making decisions, perfectionism, and being too hard on himself and others, while his strengths would be strong critical thinking skills, thoroughness, and discipline.

I usually take attempts to categorize personality with a grain of salt (placing them just a notch above astrology), but I do think that they are helpful to some degree. I think that the strengths and weaknesses of the differing personalities of Molly and Tom nicely complement each other and is a big part of the appeal and success of Buzz Out Loud.

By the way, I would classify Veronica as Amiable . . . just like Leo Laporte. And John Dvorak is definitely a Driver.

Regards,

Anjuan Simmons

http://www.transmyth.com/blog

Collapse -
Fact driven analysis vs. Emotion?
by Slikkster / February 27, 2008 7:34 PM PST

I don't think Tom offers "fact driven analysis" any more than Molly does. I do think he's FAR FAR too deferential to anything Apple. Because he does it in a lower volume makes it "fact driven"?

That's absurd. They are both extremely opinionated. I happen to think that Molly is by far the less biased of the two, and more objective, but that's me. But let's drop the stereotypes of "WOMAN = EMOTIONAL AND MAN = FACTUAL". It's horses*it.

The podcast works, frequently, because she calls him out on his tendancy to give the benefit of the doubt to things that absolutely don't deserve it.

Molly rules.

Collapse -
A Few Corrections
by Anjuan / February 27, 2008 10:19 PM PST

First, please excuse my spelling error (of "personality") in my original post. There is not spell checker in this forum, and I didn't have time to fully check everything. Second, I did not mean to imply that men are factual and women are emotional. The analytical personality type can apply to either men or women and the same applies to expressive, amiable, or driver.

Collapse -
If you had a mac....
by Nicholas Buenk / February 27, 2008 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: A Few Corrections

Built in spell checker in the OS.... every where you enter text
Just a tip. Wink
*waits for a rant*

Collapse -
Someone has to start the arguments
by Nicholas Buenk / February 27, 2008 9:01 AM PST

What would the show be without rants.

Collapse -
I think Molly...
by paintguru / February 27, 2008 10:52 AM PST

...has better grammar in her real rants then you are showing.

Collapse -
(NT) fer shizzle
by merrybrown / February 27, 2008 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: I think Molly...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.