General discussion

Does it harm a computer if it's left on 24 / 7

I've had conflicting advice on this question.

Some people tell me it's better for the computer to be left on, rather then having it reboot every day.

Others say that leaving the computer running 24 / 7 will wear down the fans faster (which is bad) and will burn out the CPU / VID CPU faster.

I've left my system running for several days at a time, and I have noticed system OS degradation (i.e. windows is slower, HD takes longer to seek info), but doesn anyone have an informed answer to this question?

System specs:

P4 2.4 ghz, 1 gig ram, 2 HDDS, 2 Optical drives (1 CD-R/W, 1 DVD-R/W) 1 extra internal fan, running Winblows XP Screwed-Up pack 2.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Does it harm a computer if it's left on 24 / 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Does it harm a computer if it's left on 24 / 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Get ready. . .

for your post to be locked. There are about a gazillion opinions on the same question. Please search for some of the threads. From what I've seen and read, the opinion is about 50/50.

But here's a fact. Any system needs to be rebooted every so often so memory cache can be cleared.

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and data, and download free software.

- Collapse -
In my case

I boot up at 5:30 AM and turn it off at bedtime. My work PC has to saty on 24/7 for updates, but I find that I need to re-boot at least once per week or things start getting squirrelly.

- Collapse -
it wont hurt it

i've been leaving my gateway 820GM on for weeks at a time. i run folding@home and also aim. just keep dust out of it with a dust filter or something.

konny

- Collapse -
Here's the discussion. (Locking this thread)

There's a long discussion about that and we lock this after noting a current open discussion to prevent forum bloat.

"For 500+ Opinions On The Subject..

...see the link below for lots of information about whether to turn off or not...:

CNET Computer Off or On Link
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=19769&messageID=211343

I turn all our computers off at night, if nothing more than to save power and dust accumulation.

The rest is up to you.

Hope this helps.

Grif "

CNET Forums