Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Does Encryption slow down throughput

I set up 128 bit encryption on my D-Link, D-624 wireles router. I get about half the download speed of my wired desktop computer,which is connected to this router, on my wireless laptop Is this common?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does Encryption slow down throughput
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does Encryption slow down throughput
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Does Encryption slow down throughput

In reply to: Does Encryption slow down throughput

It seems to. If you need some security, try MAC filtering. That is, only allow your connection to the router (plus what other machines you want to allow.)

In closing, if your firmware and drivers aren't the latest, ask why.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Does Encryption slow down throughput

In reply to: Does Encryption slow down throughput

Is it the encryption or the wireless connection itself or something else?

Yes, encryption does place some overhead on total throughput. But it shouldn't cut throughput in half. Furthermore, though you didn't tell us the details of your connection, even the slower 802.11b speeds (11Mbs nominal, 5-6Mbs real world) are significantly faster than most broadband connections, so the internet connection is often the limiting factor in download speed, not the wireless equipment.

If you want to test whether the encryption by itself is problematic, you could turn off encryption for a short while and see if the 2:1 download speed relationship persists between the wired desktop and the wireless laptop. If the laptop is still a dog, you know it wasn't the encryption.

Check your signal levels, etc. - a weak signal will cause slow transfer rates, with or without encryption. You may need to tweak the positioning of your equipment to improve signal strength.

What else is running on your laptop? Spyware/adware and P2P (even when you are not downloading anything yourself) are download speed killers. If your laptop is functioning in a fundamentally different manner than the desktop, of course the download rates could be vastly different, unrelated to hardware or encryption.

dw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.