The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Does dell ship OS cd's

by zForge / April 2, 2007 6:41 AM PDT

I am currently thinking about buying the Latitude 131l directly from dell with Windows Vista Ultimate. I like to tinker with my computers and reinstall numerous times.

Question #1:
Does dell ship the original disks with the Latitude Computers. I would imagine they would since it is a business computer and most businesses change stuff and may need to reinstall. If they don't ship the CD with the laptop could I download a copy of ultimate edition and install that with the genuine product key. If this is not legal please tell me. I think it should work since you still paid for vista and have a genuine copy still on the same computer.

Question 2:
How many times can you install Vista on a computer with the same hardware, and still have it activate.

I will probably call dell when I order the laptop because I can actually talk to someone and I might ask them that. I figured that at least 1 member of buzztown might know the answers though.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does dell ship OS cd's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does dell ship OS cd's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista on a Dell...
by John.Wilkinson / April 2, 2007 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Does dell ship OS cd's

1a.) I believe you must burn a set of CDs/DVDs yourself from a hidden partition on the hard drive, but it's possible that they would supply them with that model.

1b.) No, you cannot just download Windows Vista. Microsoft provides a download only to those who are purchasing it and any other 'sources' providing Vista downloads are illegal. Also, your product key from the Dell would not work with a retail version of the OS.

2.) You can reinstall an unlimited number of times, though after a predefined number of reinstalls you will be prompted to call Microsoft's toll-free number and enter a confirmation code.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
? about CD
by zForge / April 2, 2007 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista on a Dell...

Would that partition contain the recovery disc or would it contain a copy of the original vista CD. I ask because you cannot change the partitions when you use the recovery disc only if you do a clean install(I think). I plan on changing the partitions once I receive the computer to a 30 - 50 gb boot drive and a 40 gb backup partition and a 30 - 50 gb dive to contain all of my personal files and some shared files.

Collapse -
They did for me
by 22.smith / April 2, 2007 2:29 PM PDT

I've purchased a bunch of desktops from dell in the last few months. Some were Dimension E500, others E521 (Intel/AMD difference). Each came with an OEM Operating system CD. On 4 of the 5, I ordered XP pro, which was about $100 extra. The remaining one was going to run Linux, so it was cheaper to just get XP media center. It too came with an OEM OS disk, though I didn't use it. You should, however, ask Dell. Their policies may have changed since I bought the last of these boxes in January.

The really, really nice thing about the OEM OS cd is that you can easily get rid of all the preloaded crapware that Dell preinstalls by reinstalling with the OEM OS CD.

I don't really understand the second half of your first question. If you (legally) download ultimate edition, it will come with it's own key. If you "borrow" ultimate edition, or download a disk image without purchasing it, the OEM key you get with your Dell will not work with it. OEM keys are different from retail keys.

On question #2, as long as you don't change the hardware, you should be able to reinstall the OS as often as you like. It's when you change out some hardware during a reinstall that Genuine Advantage (re)validation might not work. You can google for specifics about just how much hardware you can change.

hth

Collapse -
Dell ships os CD's
by CornerStone__ / April 3, 2007 2:11 AM PDT

Dell does ship cd's I recently ordered three inspirons (diff models) and all came with CDs. Good luck getting microsoft to verify your copy! just put linux on it and you won't have to worry about cds you can make your own.

mike

Collapse -
huh?
by 22.smith / April 3, 2007 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell ships os CD's

>> Good luck getting microsoft to verify your copy!

Why do you say that? I didn't have any problems with keys or validation.

Collapse -
Your blowing smoke
by Dirty Pirate / April 3, 2007 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell ships os CD's

There are no issues with the activation.

Collapse -
Obviously
by CornerStone__ / January 23, 2008 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Your blowing smoke

you must not deal with microsoft much.

Collapse -
Is that???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Obviously

"you must not deal with microsoft much."

Is that informational or instructional?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!