Desktops forum

General discussion

Does DDR2 ram speed matter?

by F_demon / July 21, 2007 12:12 AM PDT

I was wondering wether different speeds of ram really matter.

I own a HP M7580 with 1gb (2x512mb) ddr2-sdram.
It has an Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does DDR2 ram speed matter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does DDR2 ram speed matter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, it does matter
by ZooYorker6 / July 21, 2007 1:13 AM PDT

The chipset is not the motherboard, only a part of it. The chipset is composed of the southbridge and northbridge. The southbridge communicates between the processor and the PCI bus, the SMBus, a clock, CMOS, and most integrated peripherals. The northbridge manages communications between the processor and the RAM and graphics card (but, more specifically, the graphics card's port [AGP or PCI]).

The speed of the RAM is most important for multi-tasking (using multiple programs at once). When you are opening an application, your processor will search for the app's instructions on how to execute and run the app. If those instructions are not in the memory(RAM) at that time, they will be transfered from the hard drive (the faster your memory is, the faster this process occurs). When the hard drive must be accessed in order to do this, it is called "loading". When you are multi-tasking, the memory will send what components of the program you are not using back to the hard drive and put it into, what's called, virtual memory. When you use a part of the program that you weren't before, the memory accesses the virtual memory to retrieve that component. This process is called "swapping" (and, again, the faster your memory is, the faster this process occurs).

I'm assuming that you still have the stock motherboard in that pc (usually when you buy a pre-assembled desktop, they do not tell you what motherboard you computer has). If so, you should get two 1GB memory sticks running at 800MHz because I highly doubt that that stock motherboard has four slots for RAM (I could be wrong, but with pre-assembled desktops, there are usually just two slots). You won't really need 4GB of RAM, so just get two of the RAM sticks you found (instead of four).

DDR2 is just the type of RAM, the most common type in existence.

Collapse -
Is that the right model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 1:14 AM PDT
http://www.google.com/search?q=m7580 finds the AMD based HP computers.

But as it stands I wonder if you have a 533MHz FSB CPU. If so you can't get any more speed by changing RAM speed. The processor would need to change too.

Bob
Collapse -
Nope
by ZooYorker6 / July 21, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

That desktop (assuming he hasn't changed any stock parts) rolls on a Core 2 Duo E6300 cpu. The E6300 has an fsb speed of 1066MHz.

And my bad, it does have four slots for RAM. But you should still stick with a combined total of 2GB, I doubt you'll need more than that.

Collapse -
Thank you for the answers, some further explanation
by F_demon / July 21, 2007 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Thanks for all the answers. Once again Cnet forums have the people that can explain it in normal English.

As I understand it, higher speed does matter but it doesn?t really matter what speed Ram I put in, and I probably wouldn?t need more than 2GB.

I am from the Netherlands, and here that model runs an Intel Pentium D 945 3.4 GHz, with a frontside bus of 800 MHz.
I should have posted all my sytem specs.

What I meant by my ram running at 533mhz is that it?s PC2-4200 ram DDR2-533.

-Intel Pentium D945 3.4GHZ
-2x512mb DDR2 SDRAM
-NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE Turbocache
-3G ATA 7200 RPM 250GB Hdd
-DVD-ROM + Lightscribe DVD writer
-memorycardreader
-300GB personal media drive (7200 rpm)
-tv tunercard
-Wlan card

Collapse -
if you are adding ram, stick with ddr2-533
by ramarc / July 22, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

since your mobo will use the speed of the slowest ram. if there's no/little diff in price between ddr2-667 and ddr2-533, get the ddr2-667.

if you're replacing ram, get ddr2-667 (which is the fastest ram the your mobo officially recognizes). http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3303109&lang=en

3gb is the max amount of ram that you are guaranteed to able to use fully. don't bother with 3.5/4.0gb since you probably won't be able to use some of it due to 4gb address limitations.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.