Linux forum

General discussion

Does anyone use Firefox in Linux?

by chuckieu / March 26, 2005 3:13 AM PST

I have tried it and found it lacking in Linux. More exactly, Flashplayer doesn't seem to work correctly. Flashplayer works correctly with Mozilla 1.7.3 in Linux and Windows, or in Firefox in Windows. I'm using Yahoo
and lately heard that they may be the problem. But that doesn't fully explain the lack of issues in Windows.
chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anyone use Firefox in Linux?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anyone use Firefox in Linux?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Worked fine for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2005 3:42 AM PST

However I may not be pushing it too hard or it's OK in Suse 9.2?

Bob

Collapse -
hmmm...
by lilsim89 / March 26, 2005 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Worked fine for me.

Firefox does not come by itself with Flash. It could be installed with an operating system or not. If not, you must do this yourself. I've noticed it's quite tricky to install flash in the Firefox installed with your distribution. I suggest that you manually install Firefox, then install flash from Macromedia's website.

Collapse -
I can't write it was tricky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2005 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm...

I just installed without much ado or attention from me.

Since you are writing to me, lilsim89, why would I want to manually install Firefox and such since it works as-is with whatever I did to get here?

Bob

Collapse -
Installs fine
by chuckieu / March 27, 2005 5:20 AM PST

I have tried it on distros with native Firefox and ones where I installed it. Same results. My homepage-
Yahoo- doesn't render completely in Firefox(Linux). It does in Mozilla in Linux and Firefox and Mozilla in Windows. Add what ISP you use (if it's not too personal) and if it works correctly. There is a petition circulating asking Yahoo to Fully support Firefox, since they have stated that they aren't going to. chuck

Collapse -
?
by lilsim89 / March 27, 2005 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: Installs fine

Sorry for the confusion; I was writing to Chuck.

Collapse -
How about an example?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Installs fine

My geocities page and Yahoo work fine. What do I need to do to see the issue?

Bob

Collapse -
Sure
by lilsim89 / March 27, 2005 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: How about an example?

With a FRESH install of a distribution, Firefox may be included. But due to copyrights and licencing, Macromedia Flash may not be included. Hence Flash not working. Under USER rights, you cannot add Flash to Firefox. That's why I suggested installing them manually and separately.

ex. In my new installation of CentOS, a RHEL replica, Firefox was included, but not flash. I installed them seperately in my home folder and it works just fine.

Collapse -
Flash is manually installed,
by chuckieu / March 28, 2005 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Sure

as is Firefox if not included in distro. The problem is not images. Strangely enough, it is the news headline text beside them. Usually I just install Mozilla 1.7.3
in place of Firefox in Linux. For some reason, Flashplayer doesn't work completely in Linux (with Yahoo). All other configurations work. I can switch from DSL to Dial-up configuration and that works, as a simple mode affecting the Homepage in Windows and Mozilla too.
I'll figure it out eventually. chuck

Collapse -
An example
by chuckieu / March 29, 2005 2:02 AM PST

/home/ray/Screenshot.png
The area to the right on what Yahoo considers the top headlines of the day. While not major, it is irritating. chuck

Collapse -
Sorry
by chuckieu / March 29, 2005 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: An example

Been unable to reference links in posts( or in this case,
delet the post). chuck

Collapse -
Bob or David
by chuckieu / March 31, 2005 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Is it just me, or can no one paste a link or image. Difficult to give examples without being able to. Tried a link on another post and a png and jpg image on this one. chuck

Collapse -
Links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Bob or David

I can put in links to such things as http://www.google.com or you can put an image on some geocities site or other...

Collapse -
How?
by chuckieu / April 1, 2005 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Links.

I'm obviously missing something. Point me. chuck

Collapse -
Ok.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2005 3:07 AM PST

Consider yourself pointed. (April fools!)

I'd like to see the issue, but to do so I need an example URL. If its something you created, then put it up on a GEOCITIES web site. They are free.

Bob

Collapse -
Screenshot
by chuckieu / April 1, 2005 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Ok.

First tried the .png-then a converted .jpg as an example
of what I was talking about. As far as a link, you are telling me typing it in as an address is the way to go.
Having to go to a separate site kinda defeats the purpose. chuck

Collapse -
Can guess what I can't see. More...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2005 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Screenshot

There is that email contact in my profile. Send me your email address, I reply, you send me the picture, smoke me a kipper I'll be back by sunset.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry,Bob
by chuckieu / April 2, 2005 1:17 AM PST

I don't use email everyday, but this is the first time I
have ever had trouble sending one. That includes 5 accounts at my homepage and 2 at my website. I wanted to paste the screenshot for everyone to see and hopefully weigh in on. But i can't even paste a jpeg on your email
option. So I guess it's a "nevermind". chuck

Collapse -
Firefox:
by S Barringer / April 6, 2005 5:39 AM PDT

I use firefox with Xandros 2.0 OCE, and I had issues with Flash Player too. Other than that, I like Firefox.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.