Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Does anyone here need to get fingerprinted?

by Steven Haninger / July 23, 2008 11:54 PM PDT

My wife is going down to the police station for the 4th or 5th time to be fingerprinted as a school teacher. All other attempts to get good prints have failed to be readable. Each time she goes, a fee is collected even if the prints are rejected by the state's Bureau of Criminal Investigation where they are to be put on file. It seems to me that, with all the high tech used to get good prints so far to get a good set, if she commits a crime she's not going to leave fingerprint evidence anyway. What's the use? Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anyone here need to get fingerprinted?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anyone here need to get fingerprinted?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I started to say
by Angeline Booher / July 24, 2008 12:06 AM PDT

..... "that's criminal", but I am not making light of her situation.

I wonder if in this day of DNA evidence fingerprinting has become lax.

Anyway, in light of the fact that 4 or 5 paid for attempts have been rejected, do you think that perhaps she might contact your local FBI office to see if they could help, or at least offer advice? Perhaps they know of some other agency that can take accepted prints. )maybe military recruiting offices?)

My city also has a sheriff's department.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I'm not sure about FBI
by Steven Haninger / July 24, 2008 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I started to say

This is a state requirement and not federal. The school had a fingerprinting day when teachers and school volunteers who came in contact with children could conveniently have this done by local police representatives right on the property. This was when the problem was first noted. They couldn't get good prints. I know she's been to the downtown police station at least twice. The second attempt supposedly used special equipment but that also turned out to be unacceptable. She's going again today so we don't know what they will advise. My quip was just that, at some point, it seems useless. In the haste of a crime, is she going to leave good prints? Maybe she's in the wrong profession and already has a good set of hands for another means of income. Devil

Collapse -
Made a mistake...this gets even better
by Steven Haninger / July 24, 2008 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I started to say

She needed two sets of prints. One is for the state and the other is for the FBI. Her prints for the state (Bureau of Criminal Investigation) are acceptable. Those for the FBI are not. For some reason the prints on file at the Ohio BCI cannot be shared with the FBI. They want their own set. Now, wasn't this sort of thing supposed to have been corrected after 911? I would suppose the DNA thing could be another option but I have to think it's much more expensive than simple black ink and paper. Maybe she's wearing away her fingerprints by grabbing kids by their rough clothing. Happy

Collapse -
I'm confused here...
by grimgraphix / July 24, 2008 11:43 PM PDT

20 + years ago, I was finger printed for a job where I worked and lived with kids in minimum security lock up. Actually, I was "thumb" printed. The whole point of the procedure was to check and see if I had any history of abusing kids. At that time, it was standard procedure for just a thumb print to be taken because these prints were for confirming Identity purposes in the workplace instead of trying to solve a crime from some partial, hard to read crime scene print.

What I'm confused about is this, are they taking a full set of prints to confirm your ID now ? It used to be enough to get a right thumb print. If you were missing a thumb, I would assume they used the other thumb. Are TPTB so paranoid that they have criminals cutting off fingers to work with kids... that they feel the need to get full print sets now ? Or is the government being opportunistic, and just trying to collect a full set of prints while they have the chance ?

As an aside. I know some banks and other financial institutions take a thumb print for certain transactions. I wonder if their precautions will eventually require a full set of prints. I wonder who will have access to them ?

Collapse -
I'm confused too
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused here...

Yes, she had both thumbs and all fingers printed. Her thumbs are ok but the fingers are a problem. Now, if they can't get good prints on you under controlled conditions, how in the heck do they think you're going to leave good prints anywhere that can be matched with what's on file. As well, wouldn't they have to redo your fingerprints after they arrest you to confirm the match? Any defense lawyer would be happy to take your case. Too bad you can't get through the gate just by having an honest face. Happy

Collapse -
Grim makes a good point.
by drpruner / July 25, 2008 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused too

When I first did it it was all ten. I don't know if that's a change from thumb-only in NM.
Are there cases where two people have identical thumbprints, so that the other eight would be required for positive ID? I think not, so why take all ten? When the banks take thumbs they use equipment that's small, quick, and neat. Why not the authorities also, on our tax dollars?

Collapse -
Soft hands
by Diana Forum moderator / July 24, 2008 12:45 AM PDT

It's only been in the last 10-15 years that I've been able to have good fingerprints. Before that they said that my fingers were too soft to get good prints. Probably all the pricks for diabetes toughened them up. Devil

Diana

Collapse -
I was for the USAF....
by C1ay / July 24, 2008 2:21 AM PDT

It would seem though that repeated efforts to get good prints are the result of incompetence in taking the prints and she shouldn't have to repay each time. Is there an FBI office close enough to let them take their own set since they're not satisfied with the one's they're being sent?

Collapse -
I've had it done for substitute teaching, twice now.
by drpruner / July 24, 2008 1:30 PM PDT

(The sub license is good for three years.)
I have no suggestions that weren't covered. Steve, your comment about sharing is a very good one. Have you written to Obama or McCain? They're about to be responsible for 'our peace and security', right?

Collapse -
And to renew the license
by Steven Haninger / July 24, 2008 8:16 PM PDT

do you need to repeat the process?

I can hear the judge now

"Mr. Pruner, you are accused of entering a classroom full of children while in possession of and brandishing a set of expired fingerprints. How do you plead?" Grin

Collapse -
As long as I don't leave prints
by drpruner / July 24, 2008 8:39 PM PDT

on the little kiddies ... Happy

Yep, every three years.

Collapse -
Now HERE's a fingerprint story;
by drpruner / July 25, 2008 3:27 PM PDT

also could go in the cold case thread we had a while ago.

Via CNN:
http://www.local10.com/news/16989876/detail.html
Prints Lead To ID Of Victim Dead 25 Years
Pompano Beach Woman's Body Found In 1983

... Broward Sheriff's Office homicide detectives said fingerprints taken from the victim's body [in 1983] and resubmitted to the FBI in April belonged to 22-year-old Tina Moore.

Collapse -
Wow...resubmitted 25 years later??
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2008 10:07 PM PDT

This means the ID could have been made quite a while ago and possibly have lead to solving the case. I'd have to wonder why no one reported her missing. This is quite sad. Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?