General discussion

Does anyone else support "The Fair Tax" ??

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Does anyone else support "The Fair Tax" ??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Does anyone else support "The Fair Tax" ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sure

But since the chance that the IRS and current tax code would ever be gutted to extent to make a fair tax workable is less than zero, the time and energy from the fair tax supporters could well be spent elsewhere.

- Collapse -
the only way it will ever be accomplished

Is if it's done the same way Prohibition was overthrown. Just totally toss it away, start over from the beginning, and keep it constitutional this time.

- Collapse -
Partially

Alternatives other than violating several "rights" we as citizens are supposed to have under the constitution, I'm all for taxation that isn't based on individual income basis requiring reporting, 1099's, etc. Personally I'd prefer to see us move back to what existed previously, or as similar as we could make it, probably closer to what would be considered excise taxes in today's world, or "tariffs" against business and corporate profit.

- Collapse -
It's interesting...

and bound to be far better than what we have now. I liked Steve Forbes's flat tax.

- Collapse -
We had a member here who used to speak of it.

I believe he went by the nickname "dragon" but has disappeared. I'm skeptical of it being and "end all, now and forever" solution. Governments will figure out a way to find loopholes to the law the way some taxpayers have been known to do as well. What I'd really like to see is for some way to know more precisely what I pay in taxes of all types. What I pay directly is easy enough but what is paid indirectly by consumer type spending is something I don't know. I also consider the SS taxes employers pay to actually be more of a tax on the employee in that it's really withheld in lieu of being able to pay that sum to the workers.

- Collapse -
(NT) Absolutely

CNET Forums

Forum Info