Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Does anybody use XM radio or Sirius radio?

by Bill Osler / October 16, 2004 9:45 AM PDT

I've heard about satellite radio, but until today I'd never actually encountered it. I rode with a friend of a friend and they listened to Al Franken on "America Left" (or something like that) on the XM radio system. I understand they also have an "America Right" station but I did not get to sample that. The folks I was riding with lean pretty strongly to the left.

I'm not sure that having a steady diet of explicitly ideological news/opinion from either side is terribly healthy, but it was certainly ... different ... from what I'm used to listening to on NPR. This morning's discussion/diatribe seemed to be about how James Baker is the devil incarnate or some such thing. I wonder if there is any truth to the allegation that he is simultaneously trying to ask countries to forgive Iraqi debt (as US representative) and lobbying countries to not forgive some of that debt (as a private lobbyist for Kuwait or something of the sort)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anybody use XM radio or Sirius radio?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anybody use XM radio or Sirius radio?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have it. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 16, 2004 10:03 AM PDT

on my DishNetwork satellite. Music only, about thirty channels. It showed up recently on my subscription, America's 150 channels. I didn't adsk for it, it just showed up.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oh, lucky you. . .Howard Stern for free LOL
by Diane Harrison / October 16, 2004 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I have it. . .
Collapse -
How's the reception?
by Bill Osler / October 16, 2004 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I have it. . .

The idea that one could always get a clear signal has appeal. I live in an area where all the stations I like have spotty reception during my drives. There are some disadvantages to living outside of the "big city"

Collapse -
Re: How's the reception?
by Coryphaeus / October 16, 2004 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: How's the reception?

Since it's on satellite, perfect. I run it through my amp and Bose speakers.

Collapse -
There are places where I've had interference while driving,
by Kiddpeat / October 16, 2004 5:48 PM PDT

and, of course, you may lose the signal when you are under bridges or in tunnels. Reception problems are very infrequent. At home, I have no problem.

Collapse -
Signal loss
by James Denison / October 17, 2004 3:30 AM PDT

I don't know why they don't have some fairly broad band antennaes which could let the signals be in the tunnels too. There are two tunnels into Baltimore and AM is about the only reception you don't lose. Sometimes FM in the lower band will fuzz on through them.

My uncle was complaining about switching his cell phone company and this after having his house phone service disconnected, not seeing a need for both. Turned out his new cellphone company couldn't be picked up in the house, he had to walk outside to call or receive calls. I suggested he go to Radio Shack and get two cellphone antennas and put one on the outside with coax to one inside. Solved the problem.

Collapse -
Re: Signal loss
by drpruner / October 17, 2004 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Signal loss

"Sometimes FM in the lower band will fuzz on through them"

There's your answer. The higher the frequency the more line-of-sight is the transmit/receive. Satellite freqs are very high (lit., extremely, or ehf). So repeater antennas like your uncles might not work, and no one's going to invest the $ to find out. Your uncle's house doesn't have curves made of concrete with (metal) rebar.

Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
by Dragon / October 18, 2004 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Signal loss

I had always wondered why they didnt do something analgous to that in tunnels, especially if there is major traffic...maybe ave a repeater or something, that carries the signal inside the tunnel.

Collapse -
by drpruner / October 18, 2004 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Signal loss

Dragon,
See my previous. It's a matter of economics, not tech. Systems work for enough people enough of the time to make them acceptable (so far) for the providers and their customers.

Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
Re: Does anybody use XM radio or Sirius radio?
by cbbrown / October 16, 2004 10:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have XM radio for long road trips. There is quite a
by Kiddpeat / October 16, 2004 5:44 PM PDT

bit of variety on the channels with music, weather, etc. The right wing politics are, from my point of view, largely unknown with no big names. The left wing has Al Franken, but I'm not sure who else. I don't listen as much when I'm at home.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks all for your posts-looking at this for myself
by drpruner / October 17, 2004 7:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks all ...
by Bill Osler / October 17, 2004 11:06 AM PDT

Satellite radio is an interesting idea. I'm not sure I want to spring for it since it is still fairly expensive, but maybe some day.

Collapse -
by TONI H / October 18, 2004 5:33 AM PDT

I have a satellite dish here, but it only pulls in tv stations (small dish type). My larger 10' dish could be adjusted for either a tv satellite or a radio/music station but that dish has been dismantled for a couple of years now and sits on its side out in my field cuz I couldn't get anybody around here to put the new actuator arm on it after the original broke.

I heard on CNN this morning though that GMC is going to have Sirius radio factory installed in their new cars and trucks in 2006 (if it isn't already being installed in the 2005 units....missed part of the discussion due to hammering here). Captive audiences for Stern.....lol

TONI

Collapse -
GMC ... Sirius radio
by drpruner / October 20, 2004 2:47 AM PDT

Toni,
I think GM already has it on "selected" (= expensive) models.

Bigger question for the industry is whether this will be the "tipping point" for (a) wide consumer acceptance/demand, and (b) for Sirius over XM.

I'll get one or the other as soon as the budget permits and based on what I see on this thread. It'll be nice to have jazz all the way from New Mexico to LA.

Regards, Doug in New Mexico (where any non-sat communication doesn't work well outside the I40 and I25 corridors)

Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / October 20, 2004 3:05 AM PDT

Hi Dr. Bill,

As you know, I'm in the Blue Ridge foothills, and radio and cell phone reception is crappy at best. I'd been thinking recently about Sirius, since they broadcast the NFL games (or so I understand) in addition to the regular offerings. I just hate to get locked into something where the rates can keep going up and up, and you're pretty much stuck, if you want to keep your investment in the equipment. I know the service has already increased from $9.95/mo to $12.95/mo (within the last couple years? not sure about that timeframe) who knows how expensive it could ultimately get?

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Lifetime Subscription
by budman27 / December 27, 2004 12:53 AM PST

Did you know that there is a lifetime subscription option? I know that it is a lot to chunk out initially, but then you never have to worry about rate increases.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Welcome to Speakeasy, Bud!
by Dan McC / December 27, 2004 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: Lifetime Subscription
Collapse -
Hi budman27
by Cindi Haynes / December 27, 2004 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Lifetime Subscription

I did see that, but you're right, that IS a large chunk of change!

Still, it probably is the best option to prevent having your rate increase. Wonder how long they consider a lifetime? Until I die, or until the satellite falls outta the sky? Wink

Welcome to Speakeasy!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
by drpruner / October 21, 2004 3:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Pay-4 Stern & Franken? ERROR MSG: FILE CONTAINS NO DATA
by Catgic / October 21, 2004 7:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
by wellstd1 / December 4, 2004 12:37 PM PST

I have Sirius satellite radio, and I must say it is an absolute blast. The music selection is wonderful. They truly have a channel for everyone. Sirius also has a great variety of talk channels, you mentioned the political channels and those are also great to listen to. The sports selection is really amazing. Hearing NFL and College games from the opposite side of the country is great. I am also looking forward to hearing March madness. Howard coming in 06' will be a huge boost to Sirius to really get them on the map.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.