Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Does anybody find it ironic or

by TONI H / July 12, 2013 6:09 AM PDT

perhaps even 'just desserts' that Spitzer is running for the Treasurer position in NY and his opponent happens to be the 'madam' who supplied him with his prostitutes that forced him to leave office in the first place?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anybody find it ironic or
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anybody find it ironic or
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
someone will get screwed
by James Denison / July 12, 2013 6:14 AM PDT

in the end, but most likely the voters, with a choice like that. The Devil or the Deep Blue Sea sort of choice. Frying pan or the fire, etc.

Collapse -
Actually, Spitzer was never accused of any crime
by Diana Forum moderator / July 21, 2013 11:38 AM PDT

having to do with the taxpayers' money. Even the hookers were paid for with his own money.

His crime was utilizing the services of the people he was investigating.

Diana

Collapse -
PS
by James Denison / July 12, 2013 6:15 AM PDT

watch "Copper" on BBC if you can. Not much has changed in NYC since then, except for being worse shots maybe.

Collapse -
(NT) Good show, very enjoyable. R
by Ziks511 / July 13, 2013 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: PS
Collapse -
Ironic no, peculiar yes.
by Ziks511 / July 13, 2013 9:56 PM PDT

Does that mean she can run for office with a felony conviction? Or was she let off because of her client list? Leaving Spitzer who was a good public servant with an over active libido (News flash -- Alert the media -- Politician caught with his pants down, yawn.) to take all the flak. And I'm not a fan of Mr Spitzer.
Rob

Collapse -
I don't think her background
by TONI H / July 13, 2013 10:56 PM PDT

requires that she not be convicted of that crime......and I had it wrong....It's not the Treasurer position they are both running for, it's the Comptroller position, so perhaps a criminal background doesn't matter, afterall Barry was able to run as Mayor of DC again without problems even after his cocaine crap.

Collapse -
As a New Yorker
by Diana Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

I find New York politics hysterical. I hadn't been here very long to realize that New York state and local government had raised corruption to a high art.

I think you have to be a criminal to run for office here. Notice that Weiner is running for mayor.

Wink

Diana

Collapse -
Weiner and Spitzer
by Josh K / July 14, 2013 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: As a New Yorker

Most of the obvious jokes involving those two names wouldn't pass the Cnet TOS. Wink

I think this whole thing is a joke too. I don't know what the law is regarding past convictions with regard to the office of Comptroller. At least we know the madam would know how to manage money.

Collapse -
(NT) hehehehe....or know how to cook the books
by TONI H / July 15, 2013 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Weiner and Spitzer
Collapse -
I may have to either vote for Spitzer or abstain
by Josh K / July 16, 2013 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: As a New Yorker

His chief opponent is Scott Stringer, the current Manhattan Borough President. I know Scott personally, or rather I did when we were kids. He and another kid bullied me for an entire summer when I was around twelve. It was the only time in my life I was ever a victim of bullying and I never forgot it. No way will I vote for him. I've even considered contacting the press but I may wait till he decides to run for mayor. Wink

Collapse -
So you won't vote for a
by TONI H / July 16, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

bully from years ago, but it's perfectly ok to vote for someone who exploits women? I understand perfectly....you just gotta luv NY, but it shows how personal experiences can affect your decision-making later on in your life, doesn't it?

Collapse -
In what twisted reality.....
by Josh K / July 16, 2013 3:38 AM PDT

.....did I say it was "perfectly OK" to vote for Spitzer?

Oh yes, the same one in which I said it was OK for blacks to use racial epithets against whites.

Collapse -
Well, if your two options
by TONI H / July 16, 2013 4:25 AM PDT

are vote for Spitzer or abstain, I would HAVE to think that you find it within your approval range to vote for Spitzer since liberals/Dems ARE the party the hustles for every single vote no matter WHO is up for election and to have a liberal abstain from voting at all would be right up there with committing a mortal sin for a Catholic. LOL

This is YOUR reality....I just toss your views back at you, Josh.

Collapse -
Truly mind-boggling.....
by Josh K / July 16, 2013 4:34 AM PDT

......how you can say things like this and then accuse me or anyone else of being narrow-minded.

Collapse -
I'm not the one who said it, Josh
by TONI H / July 16, 2013 5:50 AM PDT

You did......so yeah, it's kind of mind-boggling how your brain connected the dots of voting for a bully (not), voting for a user and abuser of women for their own self-gratification (maybe), or not voting at all (heaven forbid a Dem should do that.......I wonder if BO is keeping track of THAT info, too)

Collapse -
It's a primary, Toni
by Josh K / July 16, 2013 5:57 AM PDT

Those are the options. In primaries in New York you can only vote for the party you're registered in.

Perhaps if you'd bothered to find that out before posting that tripe above, you might have spared yourself some embarrassment.

Collapse -
What has that got to do with
by TONI H / July 16, 2013 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a primary, Toni

the three options you yourself mentioned? I'm not embarrassed over the fact that you are forced in that state to vote for the party you register with. I can register as a Republican here (which I am), but I can vote for any party candidate, even in a primary, and have done so (I'm sure you don't remember, but I also ran for office here).......I'm not forced to choose one over the other. Sure glad I don't live in NY.

Collapse -
Try to follow, Toni
by Josh K / July 16, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

I'm a registered Democrat. That means I can only vote in the Democratic primary. The two leading Democratic candidates for that office are the Spitzer and Stringer. SO --- I can vote for Spitzer, a thought that repulses me, I can vote for Stringer, which won't happen, or I can abstain. Those are my only options.

Understand?

Collapse -
Try to follow, Josh
by TONI H / July 16, 2013 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Try to follow, Toni

Those are exactly the options I posted for you as well........so what's your point? That you are forced into voting for one of two people you don't like at all or abstain (which goes against the grain of Dems' basic instinct). So you will probably vote for either the bully who personally tormented you ages ago and might have changed over time but you can't forgive or a pig who exploits women. Isn't it nice to know that these are the types that the Dems have up for 'auction'.......and you can't find anybody better to choose from? Oh, wait.....isn't that the same thing Dems were saying about the last Rep Pres primary race? Must make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to have that shoe on the other foot now.

Collapse -
Abstaining goes against Democrats' basic instincts?
by Josh K / July 17, 2013 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Try to follow, Josh

Does that mean that Republicans are less likely to vote than Democrats? If so, that's your problem, not mine.

We have two crappy candidates for a local office. You had a slew of crappy candidates for President of the United States, and even your own nominee was, at best, received lukewarmly by his own party.

Two crappy poker hands, but I'll still take ours over yours.

Collapse -
You have more than two choices
by TONI H / July 17, 2013 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Try to follow, Josh

of crappy candidates...you could always vote for Spitzer's 'madam' since she's also running for the same spot. lol

Collapse -
Change parties
by James Denison / July 16, 2013 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a primary, Toni

Problem solved.

Collapse -
there are some days
by James Denison / July 16, 2013 4:45 AM PDT

when it doesn't pay to go to the polls.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!