Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Does any one know....

by Mailman / August 13, 2006 10:19 PM PDT

...exactly how many critical updates there has been for XP? Seems like hundreds. Why would Micro$oft leave so many holes in the OS, just to fill them in peacemeal later?

~Dave

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does any one know....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does any one know....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They find them as they go along and........
by Trance_Zac / August 13, 2006 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Does any one know....

As new Security threats are discovered. You dont have to Update your PC - you just are leaving yourself more vulnerable to internet threats.

If you Install Windows on a machine that will NEVER be on the Internet at all - you're done!

I built a machine for my daughter who has no phone service since She uses a cell phone. It's NEVER been on line or updated. She uses it for college - word processing and such.

Works as great as when I gave it to her 3 years ago!

Collapse -
The answer is 'Security by obscurity.'
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2006 11:48 PM PDT

Since no one can look at the source code, exploits that are possible that no one knows about were left unfixed.

This worked fine until the source code to NT was leaked years ago. And this is a great topic to discuss if you wish.

There are hundreds of patches. But Microsoft rolls them up into Service Packs (SP1 and SP2 being most known).

Bob

Collapse -
Money
by john_mcdoogle / August 14, 2006 2:18 AM PDT

People continue to buy their products, even knowing that they're likely riddled with security holes. Until that changes, or we get lemon laws for software, not unlike virtually every other consumer product sold, there's no incentive for Microsoft to do anything. New features are what move products in the Microsoft world, and new features often have unintended consequences.

They wouldn't even be doing as much as they are now if it weren't for Linux and Mac OS X looming on the horizon as potential threats. After successfully killing off Netscape, Internet Explorer was left to rot until Mozilla started shaping up to be a threat worth taking seriously. Windows Media Player development suddenly picked up right around the time iTunes started to become a smashing success. Office 2007 will likely be one of the biggest updates since Office95, which seems to coincide with OpenOffice coming of age. These things are not mere coincidences.

Until people stop buying Microsoft products, particularly updates like Windows98, which was a warmed over Win95 with a bunch of security updates rolled in and IE4 bolted on, it's never going to change.

If you want to do something about it, I'd start by weaning yourself off Microsoft programs. Start with Internet Explorer, and then Office... Find alternative, preferably cross platform, programs for everything you can. They don't have to be free. Buying a copy of WordPerfect Office can help send a message just as well. Ultimately, the goal would be to migrate to Linux, or some other non-Windows OS, or buy a Mac the next time you're looking to upgrade systems.

Nothing else is perfect, it's impossible to have a modern operating system that is completely without defect. So it becomes a matter of design philosophy. There's the Microsoft way, where security is secondary to usability, and there's the way of trying to find a balance between the two. The latter represents almost all open source projects, and even Apple to a lesser extent. Nobody's perfect, but not everyone throws caution to the wind quite like Microsoft, a company that has given new meaning to the word arrogance.

Collapse -
It may not be that many holes....
by steve749 / August 14, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

Rather it is that as fixes are done for here and there, new vulnerabilities can be created as while one thing is fixed, another bug is introduced so the fix for bug 102 creates bug 150. Another point is to realize the size of the code of something like XP. There are literally millions of lines of code so that while their may be hundreds if not thousands of bugs, it is worth looking at how big is XP.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dave, hundreds?? Try about 50+ for WINXP Home 2002
by DarCLew2 / August 14, 2006 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
From Secunia. Hundreds if we include IE, OE, and the OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 3:12 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?