Peripherals forum

General discussion

DOES ANY BRAND/MODEL PRINT WHEN OUT OF 1 INK COLOR?

by Fancy Ideas / February 19, 2014 9:29 AM PST

My Epson Artisan will NOT print if ANY ink cartridge is empty. It will not print in black if I'm out of blue ink (as example). I cannot 'force' it to print in blue by any means if I am out of black ink. In other words, it DEMANDS that I buy new ink (that I really don't want right then) if I want to print anything.

I understand that HP does the same thing.

Is there ANY printer or printer model that will continue to print if there is an empty ink cartridge?

I'd even buy a refurbished printer to get away from the SHEER FRUSTRATION of not being to get a 'hard copy' when I need it - because a color I'm not using has run out.

Any suggestions on what to buy and where to find it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DOES ANY BRAND/MODEL PRINT WHEN OUT OF 1 INK COLOR?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DOES ANY BRAND/MODEL PRINT WHEN OUT OF 1 INK COLOR?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rather than repeat why this is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 9:46 AM PST

The best printer for this is the laser BW printers. Lowest cost per print, no ink to dry out. Many out there for under 99 bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
....but I need color also!
by Fancy Ideas / February 19, 2014 12:49 PM PST

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need color also, and know that will increase the cost of a laser printer quite a bit. Thanks for the input!

Collapse -
Sorry but I just checked and didn't find this to be true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 1:22 PM PST

Are you in some other than NA country?

Collapse -
Checkout
by Willy / February 19, 2014 9:08 PM PST

I would provide the techie answer, but look at it this way:.......

You have greased ball joints in your car, one needs grease but you drive it around anyways. What happens, if no attention to that grease empty ball joint? It fails sooner or later unless you give it the attention it needs during regular scheduled check-ups or found out.

the whole point is, if you decide to use your printer and swap it over to "black only" you allow the empty ink well to develop into a far worse case of "cleaning" to get it going again. For an Epson printer that's far worse than any other model brand out there. AND YEAH!!! they make $ on that ink but it maybe cheaper than replacing the printer if you can't "unclog" one.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
@WiIly Empty ink cartridges only temporary
by Fancy Ideas / February 20, 2014 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Checkout

Thx Willy - but I need to explain that I print with BOTH color and black only almost every day, so I do have to replace ink when I run out of a color I need. BUT - my complaint is that I CAN'T PRINT ANYTHING when I run out of ANY color. I'm totally 'dead in the ink....er, water', and not able to print at all.

So.....it is doubtful that any ink cartridge would sit 'unused' for a long enough period for it to dry out.

Collapse -
Now you know...why
by Willy / February 20, 2014 3:18 AM PST

The whole idea was to keep it *ALL* up and running in order to provide the best service as the maker intended. Once you deviate from that, problems arise and users expect the maker to fix when it was wholly in the user hands to prevent that. Which is why the maker doesn't provide a work-around and expects you the user to maintain the printer at 100% readiness. Which is why more often than not, its better to use laser output compared to ink even color because those down times are reduced plus cost per page is lower also up to a point and operational readiness is maintained. Basically, if you do alot of printing, then it may suffice to have one main printer, but also a 2nd b&w printer for general output or fast speedy drafts, etc..

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
@R. Proffitt What wasn't true?
by Fancy Ideas / February 20, 2014 1:30 AM PST

Sorry - I didn't understand what you meant by this...
"I didn't find that to be true"
Did you mean that HP DOES have a printer like I want? Or that color laser was expensive? ????
Thx!

Collapse -
From what I can tell HP no longer has such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 3:18 AM PST

From a simple consumer standpoint the average consumer won't know to not call HP for support when it prints but is out of an ink color. So to reduce support costs the design had to change.

As to my comment, I see color laser printers in the just around 100 range so I can't call that "quite a bit" expensive.

The BW laser rules here. I can only guess why folk take more than a few weeks to figure that out.
Bob

Collapse -
You've almost 'sold' me on laser color/bw printers
by Fancy Ideas / February 20, 2014 3:47 AM PST

Thanks for the explanation. Any 'best buy' suggestions on brands/models?

Collapse -
Haven't picked one up in years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 3:56 AM PST
Collapse -
PS. Sorry. Keep shopping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 4:02 AM PST

I am not a good shopping concierge service. I see mid 100 buck color laser printers come up for sale a lot. But when we can't want for a sale or something at woot.com then it's full retail.

Collapse -
Thanks - will keep looking.
by Fancy Ideas / February 20, 2014 5:04 AM PST

Didn't know about woot.com. Will give them a try, too. Appreciate all your comments.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?