Windows Vista forum

Resolved Question

Docx files in MS Word

by leroy maximus / November 14, 2011 6:50 AM PST

I run Vista with a legal copy of MS Office for Home and Student.
I have recently saved new documents and when I return to open them all I see on the screen is a small red icon and references at the right hand side to a picture.
I am unable to see any of the text that I originally wrote. Have I mistakenly saved it under the wrong format?
I have been using Word for many years and these are the first occasions this has happened.

leroy maximus has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Docx files in MS Word
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Docx files in MS Word
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by leroy maximus

Collapse -
Tried Reassociating the File Type To Word?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Docx files in MS Word

Right click on one of the wonky .docx files, choose "Open With", then select "Choose Default Program" from the little menu.. At the "Open With" box, place a CHECK mark in the box that says: "Always use the selected program to open this type of file", then scroll/browse through the programs and select "MS Word".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Problems with opening Word documents in Office 2010 Home/Off
by leroy maximus / December 8, 2011 12:54 AM PST

Thanks for your reply Grif,
Have tried what you suggest and guess what? It works. I select documents from the right hand panel of the START menu and the list of files is shown.
I then select the required file by right clicking and when it says 'open with' ,
I select MS Word (the only program shown) and most importantly of all ,I TICK the box always etc. and it has changed all those documents that had the red icon prefixing the files to the blue WORD icon.
I can now open any of those previously un-openable documents!!!! Yippee!!!!
I can also now open any e-mail attachment that I wish to send(to make sure that the attachment contents are what I do wish to send and not something else). Previously I could not open them. I can now, so hopefully the recipient will be able to also; like myself he could not open the attachment.
Many thanks to you Grif. I have spent hours and hours on this problem. I really do appreciate your assistance.
Kind regards
Leroymaximus

Collapse -
A Recipient Of .docx Files Must Have A Program Installed....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 3:21 AM PST

...which supports the opening of .docx files.. Older versions of MS Office, such as Office 2003 and earlier, are frequently unable to open the .docx file types created on newer versions of Office.. Still, there is a way for those older versions to open, but not edit, .docx files and it's called the "Office Compatibility Pack".. It allows older versions of Office to open some of the newer files types.

If the receivers of your email documents are unable to open your files, assuming they have an older version of Office installed, try sending them the link below to get them up and running.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
That's strange.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Docx files in MS Word

- Can you still open your backup copies?
- If you copy them to your USB-stick can you open them on another PC?
- If you create a new document now and save it, can you reopen it?

Kees

Collapse -
Problems opening Word Document in Vista
by leroy maximus / December 8, 2011 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: That's strange.

Thank you for your reply Kees,
I have just tried your last option of creating a new document and saving it with the following results.
1. Opening the just saved document direct from Word (clicking on the File tab) gives me a list of all my documents (including the newly saved document) with a small red icon prefixing the name of the file. Some files have *.docx and some have just *.doc
2. All the files can be opened from here by selecting the just saved file or any of the previously saved files.
3. Next I go to Start menu and select Documents, when list of documents is displayed I choose the document I require by right clicking (open) and the Word page is displayed empty apart from that little red icon in the middle!
4. The same thing happens when I start an e-mail and select a document as an attachment. I cannot open the file.
I have deleted a previous trial product and Activated my new Home Office and Student DVD plus downloaded all the latest Microsoft Vista updates (a very long process I might add). The problem persists.
I would be very grateful if you could spend some time on this for me as it is really frustrating.

Kind regards
Leroymaximus

Collapse -
That means that something is wrong ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 12:35 AM PST

with the file association. Reinstalling Word from the CD should do the trick. Even a repair install might work. But the easiest solution is to do it the way Grif explained below.

But it won't help if there is some other problem, such as:
- your security software interfering
- malware interfering
- a corrupted normal.dot(x) - easy to correct by deleting it

But that small red icon shows that the files aren't associated with Word (then you would see a blue W), but with some other program comes with a small red icon. The current file association should tell you what program it is. Can you tell us?

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!