Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

Documents in two locations

by Drjh68 / August 23, 2013 8:45 PM PDT

My computer (Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, MS Office 2010) has just been upgraded, which entailed a full deletion and restart from scratch. Important documents were saved on a Seagate Free Agent external drive. Before the reload, Documents were stored on Disk C Libraries>Documents. They are now there again, but in addition they are now also in Disk C>Users>My Name>My Documents. The two sets of documents are complete, and effectively a mirror image of each other, so much so that amending either one in anyway is automatically reflected in the other e.g. deleting or amending a folder from one deletes/amends it immediately in the other.
So I would be very grateful for advice on
(1) Which of the two positions are Documents supposed to be in?
(2) How can I eliminate one of them? At present deleting one of them would delete both at the same time.
There may be other questions I have not thought of. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Drjh68 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Documents in two locations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Documents in two locations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Drjh68

Collapse -
Re: two locations
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 8:26 PM PDT

It's only one location (C>Users>My Name>My Documents) and it has always been that.

A library contains 'links' or 'pointers' to folders on your hard disk. Just like an 'index' in a book has pointers to chapters or pages or paragraphs. You can manage libraries to add new entries or delete existing entries. It's just a way to have access to folders in less clicks. Like in a book, if you want to know something about a subject it treats, you can use the index or you can use the table of contents or just start reading on page 1 until you find it on page 387. will tell you all you want to know about the subject.

You can use libraries if you want, but there is no need to. It's just what you find easy.

I would leave it as it is.

Collapse -
Docs in 2 Places
by Drjh68 / August 25, 2013 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: two locations

Hallo Kees,

I suspected that it might be something like that. I can now stop taking the pills. Many thanks!

Best wishes,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?