Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Document reset to earlier time, please help

I had a word document and just today it reset itself to an earlier time. I have tryed recovery software but it hasn't helped because the file is still there but it is reset to an earlier date causing me to lose tons of work.
Heres the background, windows has problems loading my saved settings each time i log in, i use XP with office 2003.
I has reset my file to about a month back, causing all work on it in the past month to dissapear how do i find the text i had typed since then?
I noticed this today after i logged into another user besides the one i had been using.
How do I find the most recent file?
Thanks!
Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Document reset to earlier time, please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Document reset to earlier time, please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That doesn't seem possible.

In reply to: Document reset to earlier time, please help

I don't see how a document, already saved on the hard disk, can be "reset" to an earlier time.

Where on the hard disk was this document saved?

For this to have happened, a backup of the original doc (ie, before any changes were made), must have been taken and then, somehow, that backup must have replaced the newer version. But Microsoft Word, (if that is what you were using), doesn't create backups like that. Word will only create a backup, (.wbk extension), if it is set in Tools > Save > "Always create a backup" option. But even then, it creates a backup in the same folder where the original is stored, and only does so when the current doc is saved within Word. For the current document to be over-written, something must have searched your hard drive for .wbk and .doc files, deleted the .doc files, and then renamed the .wbk as .doc.

That just doesn't sound right to me.

System Restore creates backups, but not of personal documents. The only way System Restore could have changed a doc like that is if it had been stored in a folder where everything was backed up when creating a System Restore point, then replaced during a System Restore restoration. My Documents isn't backed up when an SR point is created. However, if you were saving files to your Desktop, then the files on your Desktop would have been backed up. It's dangerous to use the Desktop as anything other than a temporary work space for saving files. These two sites give more information on how System restore works;
Microsoft article, and
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/system_restore.htm

If that is what has happened, then you can try and "Undo" the last System Restore.

I have a question. What is the current date and time on your computer? If it is before now, change it, and reboot.

Mark

Collapse -
i have no idea

In reply to: That doesn't seem possible.

Where on the hard disk was this document saved?
in C:/my downloads

I thought about the dates but the doc it reset to was when i first started it, and the day i first started it.
I last worked on it a few days ago and when i went to it today it was the first time i saved it.
I haven't used system restore ever.
Doesn't sound right to me either I have used computers for some time but have never seen this.
Chris

Collapse -
Re: folder

In reply to: i have no idea

Chris,

I don't think there's a folder called c:/my downloads, because that's an invalid name. I don't even think there's a folder called c:\my downloads, unless you did create it yourself.

On my XP-computers all folders starting with My are user-dependent. I don't have a My downloads folder, but I do have, for example, a folder called c:\documents and settings\kees\my documents\my received files.

Hope you find it. Did you already do a search for *.doc in Windows Explorer on the whole of your hard disk?

Kees

Collapse -
yeah

In reply to: Re: folder

yeah its a created folder and i stored it there
yeah i did a doc search and could only find the one that was reset

Collapse -
You didn't say

In reply to: yeah

what the date of the system was.

You said you thought about the dates, but not whether the system date is correct. Double click on the clock in the System Tray and tell us what time and date it shows, and also what your current time is, (from your own watch, physical clock, etc).

You said your username is "student". Is this your own computer, or is it shared? If shared, who with?

What do you use to protect your computer, (or the computer if it is not yours), from hackers, viruses and spyware?

Mark

Collapse -
date

In reply to: You didn't say

jan 15 2007
8:09 am
matches my time
its my own computer but made a shared type because of the way the school set it up
has crompton and student as my users
i use virus scan on demand
school put that on there also
chris

Collapse -
Re: document lost

In reply to: yeah

So it really seems everything you changed after the last backup you made (and now have at hand) is gone. Sorry to read that kind of stories.
I hope it's not more than a day's work. If it is, it might be a good idea to revise your backup strategy to prevent anything like this happening in the future. With 1 Gb available in a gmail-account, for example, you could mail yourself the current copy at the end of each day, so you can always retrieve it from there and never lose more than one day. Just an idea.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: document reset

In reply to: Document reset to earlier time, please help

Chris,

I agree with Mark: this is a rather strange story.

Problem #1: "Windows XP has problems loading my saved settings."
That seems a Windows XP problem, and the XP forum is a better place for that. But you have to tell more, such as the exact error message.

Problem #2:
You logged on as another user and you noticed something. From the context, it seems you mean to say that you noticed the old version of your document. Of course, another user has another version of that document in his My Documents, and that might very well be a copy one month old. The most recent copy should still be in your own My Documents. After Your Documents aren't His Documents. And you find your own recent copy logging in with your usual userid.

And, of course, it's recommended to make a regular backup on another medium (like a USB-stick or a CD-RW or another computer in your home network) or (lacking better) another folder on your hard disk of everything you don't want to lose if something like this happens.
Once in a while, you lose things you didn't backup. And that's a risk you take by not doing it. Not my choice, especially when it's "tons of work", but apparently it has been your choice.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
doc reset

In reply to: Re: document reset

Problem #1: "Windows XP has problems loading my saved settings."
That seems a Windows XP problem, and the XP forum is a better place for that. But you have to tell more, such as the exact error message.

I just gave this info to let know a backstory, im not looking to fix it.
Just says windows has problems loading my personal settings when i click on my username aka student.

Yeah I had my backup disks at school here and when i first loaded it here to back up it was changed.

Collapse -
I've just read this.

In reply to: doc reset

This is a school computer?

What happened when you asked the school's IT Administrator about this problem?

If this computer is connected to a network, has the IT Admin restored the server from a backup recently? If so, it's possible all recent docs have been lost.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.