Question

document not in document folder

I have a document that I wanted left on my desktop, but can't figure out how to do it.... (I make changes to it often and have others there) This one I can find by using Spotlight and it says it's in the document folder, but it isn't. It does open.... very strange, I think. Is there something I can do that will give me a choice as to where it is stored after closing it? I used to be able to "save to desktop." Not all improvements are good, for me at least. Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: document not in document folder
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: document not in document folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
You can always put a link on the desktop.

This way, your files are always tidy and ready for backup.

- Collapse -
Answer
Try this

Search for the document in spotlight and then click "Show all in Finder". From there you can directly see the location of the document and even drag it to another location if you wish.

Hope this helps

- Collapse -
As stated above, plus,

if you highlight the document while it is displayed the the "Show all in Finder" window, you will see the actual location of the document appear at the bottom of the window.

P

- Collapse -
All three suggestions

might be helpful if I knew "HOW" to do them. Sorry for my ignorance. I could not find "show all in Finder."

Old Granny Lola

- Collapse -
No problem

At the top right corner of the screen there is a magnifying glass. This is Spotlight.
Put the mouse there and click.
Enter the name of your document and, magically, everything that has that name in it will appear in the list.

At the top of the list there is an option to "Show all in Finder"

Choose it and you will see all those files in a Finder window.
Highlight the one that is the one you are looking for and its location will appear at the very bottom of that window.

P

CNET Forums