Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Docs menu

Recently, my PC was hacked so that each time I close any document, its shortcut is not automatically saved in the "recently accessed" Documents menu. And this includes those docs that I had accessed from the shortcut when it was on the menu. IOW, each time I close and save any document, whether I had accessed it from the Documents sub-menu of the Start menu or had otherwise accessed it from the main My Documents folder, its shortcut is neither added to the menu nor does it remain on that menu if it was there earlier.

How can I fix this hack so that the doc shortcuts are either added to the menu or can remain on it?

My OS is WinXP Pro and it runs on NTFS. And if it matters, my Biz Suite is Office XP Pro.

Thanks,

David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Docs menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Docs menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download TweakUI from MS

In reply to: Docs menu

It Explorer function might be able to get it back for you.

Collapse -
What's gotten back

In reply to: Download TweakUI from MS

Are you saying that its Explorer function can allow me to re-enable the automatic saving of shortcuts (within the Documents menu) of recently-accessed docs? If so, I'll give it a try with this MS Powertoy.

David

Collapse -
TweakUI

In reply to: What's gotten back

allows or simplifies many small customizations of Windows. One of these is to disable/enable the "recent documents" feature.

Collapse -
Already selected

In reply to: TweakUI

I just looked at that option on TweakUI, and it is already checked. Do you think that it would help to disable the feature and then re-enable it?

David

Collapse -
Not sure...you could try it

In reply to: Already selected

How about system restore? Is that an option for you or do you think it would bring back something bad?

Collapse -
Gave it a try

In reply to: Not sure...you could try it

I recently restored from the startup menu after getting hit with another blue screen crash, but that didn't fix the recent docs problem. But I've since tried unchecking and re-checking the Recent Docs feature with TweakUI, and the problem is now gone.

Thanx,

David

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to hear it.

In reply to: Gave it a try

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.